Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I'm new to Rhinos, NOT new to the desert or the dunes, been desert people all my life. Just joined the forum today.

I just got a 07 660. It has a 4 seat cage and I am installing Fabtech long travel, Hunterworks sheave (16 greaseless slider weights white/purple stripe spring- one step down from orange), filter, muzzy exhaust, black rhino gauges and cdi box. I have a 175 main jet with the E clip in the middle groove of the needle for jetting and am 3 turns out on the air fuel screw. I also am going to add a bigger cooling fan on the rad and a lonestar chassis brace kit. I am trying to get this rhino up Olds hill with the wife and kid. Is it possible? The internal of the engine is stock. I am running 7 paddle Extreme hauler and front buffs on STOCK rims. (I had an extra set of stock wheels, and am trying not to spend too much more on this thing). Is my setup ok for duning? Will I make it up the hill? is my jetting ok (for those of you who are Glamis riders). You see, I have not tried this yet, I got the rhino and immediately tore into it after reading threads on this forum. It now sits in a thousand pieces. Any advice appreciated on jetting or peoples experience greatly appreciated. any final conclusions with the CV filter debate? OK with a non oiled K&N filter with proper cleaning? I have greaseless weights.... do I even need a filter on there... It is a tube that sticks up behind the seat now with a K&N... the stock stuff has been removed by the PO. I found mixed results when I searched.

Also, do you drive in 4wd or 2wd? Is one harder on the rhino than the other? 4wd up Olds, 2wd when duning? Hi.... low? Questions!! Thanks all.

I'm in Long Beach CA. if anyone is close, pm me maybe we can hook up at Glamis or Goreman or somthing. Id love to find some FRIENDLY people with rhinos so I can learn a thing or two. I come from a quad and buggy background. Buggys gone, but I still have my 450 quads.... and now this Rhino. SORRY SO DANG LONG. :shifty:

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Prob make it up the left side with one passenger, maybe. 4hi not locked. Depends on how rough it is at the bottom for your run at it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i've seen stock rhinos make it up the left side with a good running start. i wouldn't know what to tell you as far as 2wd 4wd hi lo goes because i just got my rhino a couple of months ago and won't be seeing glamis for a month or two

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
I drive in 4x hi, let's you float more by pulling the front through.

do youhave a shroud? makes a HUGE diff on cooling.

sounds like your doing alot to it, should be a nice ride!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I prefer to drive in 2 high with my paddles, seems like you can keep better speed plus it lets the rear get loose a little, rarely use 4 wheel drive

·
Registered
389 Posts
My 450 in 4x4 hi will make it up with to large passengers. Was a bit slow at the top but still made it.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Not sure about Olds Hill, but I'm in Carson. Would love to ride at Gorman.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I run mine up the left side in 4 high. No problems. I've also gotten up there with two of us fat guys in there (430 pounds together) in four low. I'm running stock with greaseless overdrive weights shaved down for a little more low end and a set of Doonz paddles and smoothies.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
your main jet seems to big if your running the stock air box with k&n,with k&n complete intake you might be ok.no cv filter at all ,if you get red label douglas wheels your wheels will be lighter and easier to spin.last get a mild cam it will help alot.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm just glad to hear i'm not the only one now that takes something all apart when they get a new toy before eaven trying it out!....and my wife says i'm crazy?...atleast there are too of us....I just dont like getting in something and flying down the road...untill i've checked every nut and bolt...and every time i do?...i find loose this,bent that,broke this,and dirty air fiter,dirty oil,and fuel filter

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Excellent choice on tires, but I don't think stock rims are going to be wide enough to allow the tire to work it's best. No to filter on CVT air intake. Personally I like 4 wheel drive with the front unlocked, the short wheelbase feels a little squirrelly to me at higher speeds. I don't have any experience with rhino carbs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you everyone for the replies. Should I zip-tie an outer-wears around the cvt tube? It looks like it is a whole new aftermarket kit, as it it is a plastic tube with a filter on the end. Stock... it looks like there is some kind of box the tube went in to to keep sand out. is my setup OK?

I have a fabtech long travel kit... what offset rims do you recommend? (I would think having my tires stick out 1" over the stock offset would be OK.

A cam was mentioned..... any good ones that will still let me drive on 91 gas that wont kill the bottom end? Thank you again for everyone's replies!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Thank you everyone for the replies. Should I zip-tie an outer-wears around the cvt tube? It looks like it is a whole new aftermarket kit, as it it is a plastic tube with a filter on the end. Stock... it looks like there is some kind of box the tube went in to to keep sand out. is my setup OK?

I have a fabtech long travel kit... what offset rims do you recommend? (I would think having my tires stick out 1" over the stock offset would be OK.

A cam was mentioned..... any good ones that will still let me drive on 91 gas that wont kill the bottom end? Thank you again for everyone's replies!
I had a filter on my CVT intake the first time I took it to Glamis and it restricted the air flow so much it destroyed the stock sliders and melted a hole in the outlet tube. Wider rims with stock offset would work fine. Rhino stage 2 Hot Cam would allow 91 octane and provide more top end without loss on low end.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

dune in 4x4 high all the time,leave it there,its designed to run that way,pulls harder in four hight also,don't run an outwear or filter,put in greaseless weights and be done wiith it......pipe and carb and cdi and porting and piston and its on....oh,and never ever oil a cvt filter,it will clogg and smoke the clutch and its parts............you'll make it up olds,slowly on the left side...you'll want more paddle........thats a decent two seater paddle.......get a bed delete and save 60#s on the rear end.........keep it as light as possible for duning...all these guys that run extra batteries and stereos probably just sit at the hill and don't actually dune...lighter the better............I'm in garden grove,chapman and valleyview on the other side of the seal beach weapons station,stop by anytime...i've owned nine rhinos and can tell ya just about all the ins and outs,I build my own stuff,motors,rollbars etc for fun...got a full shop in the back yard.......later,cameron..

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
olds

my stock valved pumpgas 686 two seater makes it up olds in 4wd on the steep side where they drag the face of the hill for the quad drags no problem....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts