Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone swaped a rx1 motor in a rhino yet. i read alot about rotax and r1 swaps seems like a sled engine out of a yamaha would be an attractive option to go with. Is it possible and would it be kick ass?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
does that thing still have a front diff its hard to make out? i assumed it would fit in there alot better but its got r1 power with no gears

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

use the motor,and go with a can am trans or polaris trans which runs the front diff and it could be done,mine has the nytro yamaha FI motor,but two wheel drive only....the sled are belt drive which is best,but yamaha needs a divorced trans like the poolaris or can'd ham then we could just run the belt,position the motor and run the shafts....

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
use the motor,and go with a can am trans or polaris trans which runs the front diff and it could be done,mine has the nytro yamaha FI motor,but two wheel drive only....the sled are belt drive which is best,but yamaha needs a divorced trans like the poolaris or can'd ham then we could just run the belt,position the motor and run the shafts....

thats why alot of people go rotax. the Trans and motor are "married" like the rhino.

I would like something more torquey than an R1... but more HP than a rotax lol

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
can'd ham

I believe the new commander 975cc motor has a divorced trans if my memory serves me right?? I know the poolaris rzrs do...easier to just buy the new xp 900 and deal with all the dealer installed updates and fixes and recalls....my two cents...

my beef with the r1 is the power curve isn't untill 10gs to 14gs...........many guys have said that duning the r1 is a hassle,its two wheel drive and pipey like a banshee,either all or nothing....plus who wants to shift something thats got under 6ft of wheelbase when it takes all hands u have to keep it pointed straight with an automatic trans the way it is?? Belt drive is the ticket,four wheel drive is the bomb anyday over two wheel drive....

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
I believe the new commander 975cc motor has a divorced trans if my memory serves me right?? I know the poolaris rzrs do...easier to just buy the new xp 900 and deal with all the dealer installed updates and fixes and recalls....my two cents...

my beef with the r1 is the power curve isn't untill 10gs to 14gs...........many guys have said that duning the r1 is a hassle,its two wheel drive and pipey like a banshee,either all or nothing....plus who wants to shift something thats got under 6ft of wheelbase when it takes all hands u have to keep it pointed straight with an automatic trans the way it is?? Belt drive is the ticket,four wheel drive is the bomb anyday over two wheel drive....

ya iv heard same thing about the power band on R1.

eh I'll just build my 660 a little and be happy. it goes just about everywhere now in the dunes. can't wait to try paddles.

don't really want a poo poo lol

if the new commander has divorcedtrans could be the new swap of choice

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
Hmm. Well, I guess it depends on what kind of riding you do. I was really dissapointed with the R1 at Miller Canyon. To many slow climbs. However, it was a blast at Gorman. Made it worth all the work and $$$. I haven't taken it out to the dunes yet, but I'm sure it'll be a blast reving high in the bowls with the quads and rails!

·
Registered
1,612 Posts

Not sure who you talked to, but everyone I dune with that has R1 Rhinos loves them! The powerband is NOT like a piped Banshee - it's actually very luggable even in the lower RPMs, unless you are running giant ass paddles. I run regular knobbies and dune the hell out of my car, with NO issues. Shifting is easy....mostly second gear in the dunes, and only use the higher gears when kicking butt at the drags. I guess it just depends on your build, but the R1 is a very manageable and fun power in the dunes and the desert.

I would think an inline 4 sled motor would make a very interesting swap.....

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so r1 conversions dont have reverse either do they?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you use a reverse box (aka FNR) yes, if you go with a carrier (practically bulletproof) then no.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Isn't this the motor 4nines put into his RZR for Pikes Peak?

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
I started riding in Glamis in the late 70's on a YZ 125 with a paddle' and had no problems staying on the pipe. very easy to ride. Corry, I can not picture you lugging anything through the dunes! HAHAHA!!!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Im building an rx1 rhino (9 months into the project) you can see my build - check rx1 race rhino in engine swaps section. rx1 has more torque the exh is in the rear and belt drive. everything has to be fabricated (no kits made). It won't be as fast as an r1 but i'm hoping to race long desert races - not sure the r1 clutch & trans would hold up. Cory Weller said she has raced up to 150 miles no problem. I want to try the vegas to reno. here's a pic. Rich
[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Cory Weller said she has raced up to 150 miles no problem. I want to try the vegas to reno. here's a pic. Rich
I have raced several desert races with streetbike motors, with zero issues. BITD Parker 250 with a CBR600 swap - direct chain drive (before our SV1000 swap)and out at Barstow for the MORE PowderPuff race with my SR1 (R1 swap).

Both over 150 miles....Barstow was the roughest course I've ever been on, and it was brutal for a short wheel base, but we still hauled the mail and that R1 motor just purred along at about 7000 RPMS (like on cruise control). Didn't even get over 190 degrees. We were down 30 minutes due to a broken shock, and caught and passed the whole field in one and a half laps. Direct chain drive, no reverse.

Joe Leeper has been racing BITD in his SV1000 swapped Rhino for several years now, and does great out there, as well. Another direct chain drive.

There was a new DSR1 racing at BlueWater this year - another R1 swapped Rhino, this one ran an FNR box, and they didn't have any issues for their first race. Also saw another streetbike Rhino out there that same race which also did great.

For the desert, the streetbike motors are awesome. If you can get a solid working drive system, the motors themselves are practically on a holiday since they really don't have to rev very high to be hauling ass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts