Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 300 miles the wife has asked for the loud and hot intake to be fixed. I did notice also that after riding in very dusty trails a freshly oiled UNI filter appeared to let a fair amount of dust by the filter. It could be seen from the butterfly down into the intake.

Original loud intake

Extended the filter up a little for a ride to see if it helped it didnt.

The motor intake needs to be spun 180 degrees to point ahead and down.

Then using a 2" 1/8" rad hose to locate the throttle body down and pointing ahead.

I chose a AFE intake setup because it will clear the TCP oil cooler and a K&N does not appear to.

TCP oil cooler with air baffle

With intake box set it in place, I will have to relocate my fuse box to the side of the intake box..

Thats where I am at this morning, hope to get it closer this weekend..
Thoughts and opinions welcome.. Adam

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hey Bud, be careful using a rubber hose, because when you start the engine it has so much suction, it may collapse the tubing and suffocate the engine. I did the same thing and used 4" exhaust tube and welded it all together. If you want to see pictures, I can send you some.

·
Registered
841 Posts
looks good so i take it the hose will stick out of the engine cover? keep up the pics i want to see this thing finished...

·
Registered
253 Posts
X2 any soft intake materials can only be used before the throttle body.

Also expect a little power loss. I have a home made intake also and now swap between the 2. no dyno proof but my stall is 400 rpm lower with my behind the seat intake. Thus why I now have two engine covers.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The rubber 90 WILL collapse! Take a look in my pic section... Everything works great and the sound is cut way down with the filter under the hood!! Go get a short radius 2" 90 made of steel and it will still fit under the engine cover.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks good so i take it the hose will stick out of the engine cover? keep up the pics i want to see this thing finished...

Nope I have a new 04 cover with no holes in it at all. Everything will be underneath.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The rubber 90 WILL collapse! Take a look in my pic section... Everything works great and the sound is cut way down with the filter under the hood!! Go get a short radius 2" 90 made of steel and it will still fit under the engine cover.
So you have since changed yours? I was going off yours for the idea... If you did change have any pics?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
From what I am hearing the throttle body does not care what orientation it is in, other words there is no top or bottom.. Anybody hear different?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What did you do under the hood? And yes I fired it up with the rubber hose and it collapses it immediatly. :12:

Has anyone with this mod compared power with open filter like I had to after mod?

I talked to Greg at Mr Rpm about some other stuff and asked him about this and he says that 90 degree turn between the throttle body and intake is a loss of 4-5 hp and then the additional tubing from the throttle body to air filter kills it even more (over 10 hp). He mentioned that there needs to be an air plenum of equal or bigger size than stock present.

Very curious to see if you guys noticed a big loss, if so I am going to look at making a plenum or measuring up this one. I am also gonna buy this 90 degree fitting to use...

Fiche Parts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Interested to see what you guys figure out. If I am going to Rotax my 4 seat eventually, Ill for sure want a under hood filter, so... But not going to give up 15HP, that puts me back almost to my stock 660! :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

That is a nice setup as well, but that manifold makes less power than my stock 2010 outlander intake manifold, dont know how they would compare with the 90 deg on my intake though? I like the idea of having the air filter out front getting cooler dense air and up high away from water, since the 08 700s already have this setup I figured it made sense..

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You need a plenum box or at least 6" or even larger tubing ( gave up after trying up to 5" tube to the front) and even that's iffy. Good luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i did loose power, but not that much. the can-am motor is a v-twin so each cylinder fires a different time so the intake values don't open at the same time which means you only have to supply the motor 400cc of air at a time so a 4 inch should be fine....i don't know if this makes any sense; I have been drinking so i will try again in the morning. LOL!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You need a plenum box or at least 6" or even larger tubing ( gave up after trying up to 5" tube to the front) and even that's iffy. Good luck.
I gonna figure out the volume of a stock air box and see if I can fit a custom plenum the same size under the engine cover if I am not happy with the power loss I get.

i did loose power, but not that much. the can-am motor is a v-twin so each cylinder fires a different time so the intake values don't open at the same time which means you only have to supply the motor 400cc of air at a time so a 4 inch should be fine....i don't know if this makes any sense; I have been drinking so i will try again in the morning. LOL!!!
You got 4" to fit all the way up front? I may just hook this up and do a couple 300ft time trials and see what I lose and go from there...

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Do either of you have any 300ft or 100 yard time trials on pavement from your machines with this setup for comparison?

I ordered the commander 800 elbow and am awaiting its arrival.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
With the filter mounted on the throttle body I am averaging around 6.1 to 6.26 sec 300 ft times avg speed 50-51 mph 7250 rpm with 26" tires on pavement.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok well after waiting over 2 wks for the commander intake elbow I finally made some progress.

Rubber not working

Elbow

Cut down.

Assembled

Installed

Piped

Cover clearance

3" tubing used

Done

Cover on

Overflow bracket that was removed

06 vs 08 overflow bottle

New bottle on

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Performance Info

Well I did before and after 300ft testing.

Before:
Avg time 6.19 sec at 50-51 mph

After:

Avg time 7.12 sec 49-50 mph.

I am running at 12.2 to 1 AFR so I may be able to lean it out some, and I am hoping the STM rage 6 and secondary make up anything that I lost. I am going to run this setup for a while and dial in my AFR and see what I can net with these clutches, then next year the GT2052 is going on.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.