Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
hey yall,wanted to share my story,and project pics..
History...
We were the last in our group to get into SXS',(and to tell you the truth,I didnt really like them before i bought one)too slow, too short of a wheel base,too much money!bla bla bla.,but my wife does'nt like to ride her quad at night ,so i thought a rhino would be perfect to keep her interested in staying awake for those half tanked night rides to the hill:alcoholic:.So i bought it for my wife...ya right!!isnt that what peeps say??well ,me too..
After buying it i quickly learned how addicting these things are ,and the permagrine you get from driving one,:32: BUT it it way under powered(imo).The chalange to drive in the big bowls was fun at first,but I was allways tapping it out,and running the on rev limiter.Not gonna last long driving like that!,So i researched (rhino forums.net) for info.Big bore?ticking time bomb kept comming up..R1?two wheel drive only, no reverse (without spending alot of $$$)didnt sound like what we wanted..so rotax must be what we are after.I thought to myself...(dont tell the wife,cause its spendy)
First things first.Fix the old cage? or build a new one?The wife gave me the green light for the metal cost,so it was on!Had to be done,cause I rolled it and bent it pretty good this time!It has to be strong,because i cant seem to keep the wheels down.:eek5:Replacing the big sized mild steel with smaller diameter thin wall cromolly(sp?)tubing was a must!Drop wieght and get strength,was the plan.(which allways looks good on paper):aargh4:.But if your gonna do it?Do it once,and do it right.
After researching all of your guys' post' i came up with the plan to chop the cage ,drop the seats,and go with the jegs fuel tank in the rear,and lower my center of gravity.Lots involved to do that,but im up for a new garage project.
I got the material at competitive metals in elcajon,and borrowed my buddies bender,and got to work!Doing it all by myself is gonna be a chalange,but ive got friends that arent affraid to tell me when i'm f-ing up!
Meanwhile....I'm secretly searching for a used can am to buy,and do the swap.Again ..dont tell the wife!
I get pretty close to finnishing the cage,and wallah a good deal pops up."OH HONEY"......I got this thing i want to buy.......??bless her heart she said yes!:banana::banana::banana:(renegade 800 with 1400 miles)So we decide to drive 20 hours to get it in utah,and stop in to vegas for a night of celebratory drinking.She was drunk! to say the least!
so here is the old cage,bumpers,and i'll post pics of my progress so far.Hope you guys like it!
thanks to all of you for your willingness to give information about your rides and post pics!I WOULDNT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO IT WITHOUT YOU GUYS!A special thanks to LBR and his photobucket, Danny at Magnum 4 input,and photos,Brian Bush's post'and too many others to remember.
sorry sooo long. i'm trying to avoid the garage today..greg

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
nice......you make me jealous.........:)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
A sickness forsure!,but i'm sick of being last up the hill more!Our camp has a few really fast sxs so I knew a motor swap was in order sooner or lator.Better to do it this year and pay for it next year :fingersx:rather than the other way around.I've been hitting it hard to get it done, and spending too much cash on things like this light bar.Thanks to the black rhino sale.

·
Registered
979 Posts
are you goin with Brian B's RYR mount kit, or are you gonna try and build the mounts from scratch? Let us know if you have any more questions.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Best thing I ever did to mine! If you need more pics there should be a link in my signature

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
hey guys,
For sake of pride I want to do everything myself,so I can say "I did it all",but its a little overwhelming.I think I'll pay for the wiring and i.d.k??Feel free to chime in on anything I've posted.Especially if I'm missing out on some cool mod ,or new product that you guys have come up with that I might need.I have been talking with Magnum offroad a little about this,but like which air filter canister do I go with(I want to route it behind the driver seat),and does it hurt power?Whats the dealio with the fuel controler/mapping thingie?Do i need cdi and fuel control devise or can i buy a good msd type cdi and set it up once and go?What have you guys done?What to do with the heat that generated from the motor and exhaust,I'm cutting a air vent that go's under the center console to force air through to the rear.Ive made the really scary decision to put the stock renegade radiator up and in back of the seats.Dont want to get burnt,but dont want to move it lator,because of overheating.Anyone use the stock radiator?Anyone have overheating problems?Did you guys go with a oil cooler?I'll stop here as i have many more questions.Thanks in advance for the answers...Off to the gayrage........heres some updated pics
sleepy greg

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Best thing I ever did to mine! If you need more pics there should be a link in my signature
your flicker pics are awesome!thank you for posting them !It really helps!Now ...I'm off to the garage...an hour lator..

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
your flicker pics are awesome!thank you for posting them !It really helps!Now ...I'm off to the garage...an hour lator..
no problem. if you have any specific questions I'll help out where I can. A lot of knowledge here on rf.net. KMB760 is finishing up his Rhintax project and is in your neck of the woods too.

BTW, I think at a minimum you'll need a shroud on that radiator. Adding a oil cooler will help your radiator. You will need a fuel controller too because of changing your air filter and exhaust from stock. A AFR GAUGE IS A MUST!!! I don't know if I can be more clear on that. And I highly recommend oil pressure and water temp gauges.

Be sure to read up on Brianb 's RYR thread. As you get more familiar with what you got the stuff on the thread will make more sense.

Good luck! You won't regret it. Best swap out there for all around use! (sand, desert, rock climbing, mountain trails, etc)

Dean

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've read these rotax post before,but your right ,now they make sence.I've decided(after looking at your pics)to put a oil cooler on it.Worked till past midnight last night,and its slow going,but progress was made.I'll post pics lator.g

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
The wiring is not bad to do, just time consuming. Brian B's RYR kit is the way to IMO, then you know the motor is where it should be and he includes provisions for drivelines, throttle, shifter, and so on.

Keep the pics coming!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah I hear you can do your own wiring but nothing better than opening a box and seeing your wiring is all done and done right..

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah I hear you can do your own wiring but nothing better than opening a box and seeing your wiring is all done and done right..

I was gonna go that route,but i aint got the dough.I'm in construction and I'm not making the money I used to make.I've got time,but no money,and when I've got work I have money just no time.Big reason I'm doing this now.I'm tired of being bummed about the whole recession thing,so I'm keeping my head in RHINO WORLD till I run out of savings.:fingersx:Can you post up some pics after you install the wiring?please.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Yeah nothing better to get your mind away from the financial problems like a weekend out with rhino and friends. Even though your spending money it just doesn't seem to matter..

Pm me your email and ill get you some pics.

John

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The wiring is not bad to do, just time consuming. Brian B's RYR kit is the way to IMO, then you know the motor is where it should be and he includes provisions for drivelines, throttle, shifter, and so on.

Keep the pics coming![/QUOTE
I hear ya on time consumption.Damn it if I could just get my finger snap magic to work it would be running.What did you do nvs2none?The whole kit plus stacey's(?) wiring programe?I just cant spend the money right now,or I probably would.The wiring didnt look too bad the night i pulled it out,but I was pretty buzzed:alcoholic:,and the next time... it looked like a living organisim that was about to attack me.:aargh4:Run its octo-wires!!!
My buddy says"Its not hard",but it looks intimidating!

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
lots of thinking goin on,and not alot of work gettin done.The quickner,and electra-steer was by far the hardest part yet!I tacked and cut it off like ten times or so!Not much room to work with.Very glad its done.!Hope it all works!I got the motor vent cut,console mocked up,but cant decide if more is less or go big.It aint much,but let me know whatcha think.g

Attachments

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didnt get alot done this weekend on my rhino,but i did get something done for my buddies xp.Just a couple of lightbar mounts.The fender ones are gonna be handy dandy.
Oh ya started the finishing welding.They call him Tigger Tigger......

Attachments

1 - 20 of 33 Posts