Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All day riding the volt gauge had been staying around 14 volts with rad fan on, radio etc. All of a sudden it's below 12. At one point turned on the lights, which killed the motor. (not enough juice).

Battery connections are tight. Regulator plugs are tight. Any guess where to start? What to check first to narrow things down?

·
Registered
13 Posts
you can take the neg cable off the battery, hook up a volt meter to complete the circuit and see if any volts are being drained. if so, start pulling fuses out until the volt meter shows 0. make sure you take a picture or draw how the fuses and relays are in the box. be patient

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Copy that. But I'm not having a battery drain issue. It's a charging issue. And it's intermittent. It started charging again. I guess it's fixed itself for now...

·
Administrator
2,254 Posts
Copy that. But I'm not having a battery drain issue. It's a charging issue. And it's intermittent. It started charging again. I guess it's fixed itself for now...
Just for giggles, get engine running....slowly work the magneto wires back and forth where they go thru case while watching for a 12-14 volt spikes on the gauge ...if Ok, check rest of that wiring loom the same way...if you don't get the " EUREKA., I've found it!! " syndrome, then problem may be inside the magneto cover (I doubt it tho).....

Doesn't sound like a broken cell in the battery since it's working intermittent again....probably a wire or connection is all ... Lance

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

·
Registered
841 Posts
Do you have a can am manual?
Check all wires for shorting, make sure you have good tight grounds, check fuses, then if that isn't it you

Need to check your stator and rectifier follow the procedure in the book.

Mine ended up needing a stator it's harder. To diagnose than to change.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts