Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this rhino for the engine to swap into my rhino, it has a 2006 rotax 800 in it. Ran fine when I got it, but now it won't start. I have been tinkering with it but haven't found the problem yet.

Battery seems OK, fuel pump cuts on when I turn the switch on, fuel pump also cycles on when I press the 'start' switch, but the starter will not turn over. When pressing the brake pedal, I can hear the relay click. Used to, the starter would turn even without the brake pedal pressed, now the starter will not turn at all. I did try hotwiring the starter and turning it over that way (with ignition switch on), but it still would not start.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
2,254 Posts
Bought this rhino for the engine to swap into my rhino, it has a 2006 rotax 800 in it. Ran fine when I got it, but now it won't start. I have been tinkering with it but haven't found the problem yet.

Battery seems OK, fuel pump cuts on when I turn the switch on, fuel pump also cycles on when I press the 'start' switch, but the starter will not turn over. When pressing the brake pedal, I can hear the relay click. Used to, the starter would turn even without the brake pedal pressed, now the starter will not turn at all. I did try hotwiring the starter and turning it over that way (with ignition switch on), but it still would not start.

Any ideas?
If the starter relay is working but not working the starter, yet hot wiring starter makes it work....check the battery cables, both ends, for good contact and, yes, that means the cable on the starter way-down-there...lol....then your hot wiring the starter, but no fire....point also to a bad relay, but these machines have so many ECU safeguards....here's some things to look into....

may be a D.E.S.S. thing....

Key indexed right?

After you "flick" the key to the on position, grab it and ease it a little more to the right and let go easily....try starting it.....

If you have another Rotax powered machine, swap the keys

Neutral safety switch a little out of alignment...move the gear selector a bit while trying to start

Have you flipped an unknown switch the previous owner installed since last time....maybe flipped switch is an ignition / starting system interrupt for security

Let us know!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had 2 of my can ams for no reason and out of the blue stop communicating with the key. Im not the only one to have it happen either. Both times I had to take them to the can am dealer and have a new key programed. Mine would turn over but not start. Your problem sounds more like a relay to me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
To be more clear, even with the key on, I can hotwire the starter to turn the engine over, but it still will not fire.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You need to go have it scanned, there are so many relays on a can am wiring harness. It will cost ya $35 but you will no right were to go and what to replace.

·
Administrator
2,254 Posts
To be more clear, even with the key on, I can hotwire the starter to turn the engine over, but it still will not fire.
Yup...still can be the key ...at times my Rhino wont turn over ....turning the key more to the right and works perfect

sent by TapaTalk ...please excuse brevity

·
Registered
389 Posts
Hotwiring the starter will not do any good if the ecm doesn't get a signal from the key/switch it will not send power to the coils and therefore no spark! no spark = no fire. check for spark while cranking the motor over. Good luck electrial problems suck:aargh4:

·
Registered
771 Posts
i was going to write a long post about all the things to check or i would check. why dont you just give me a call and i will walk you threw everything to check??

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It was the key, after $77 at the local stealership it starts/runs fine.

Lesson learned, don't let other people turn the key!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it WAS up and running, it has since been pulled out of the Rhino it was in to be installed in a different Rhino (one with extensive frame/cage modifications). It has a BAD oil leak, I am thinking it is the seal between the engine/transmission, either way I will be fixing it before I put it in the other rhino.

Thanks for the help guys

·
Registered
979 Posts
Well, it WAS up and running, it has since been pulled out of the Rhino it was in to be installed in a different Rhino (one with extensive frame/cage modifications). It has a BAD oil leak, I am thinking it is the seal between the engine/transmission, either way I will be fixing it before I put it in the other rhino.

Thanks for the help guys
You should start another build thread on swapping everything over

1 - 13 of 13 Posts