Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how do you pick the right roller weight i have 13 grams weights in and top at 50mph if i go to the stock weight or more will i pickup any speed?i run a org spring and speed was with stock tires i now have 27" tires and still seems to pull the same. i ride some flat and alot ofmud/ hills and trails i would like more all around power and top speed

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Call Todd at Hunterworks or check out their website. Tell him about your build, tire size and riding style. He will set you up.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not really looking for someone jus to tell me what weights to use i want to know the though or math be hind changing weights so i can do my own clutch tuning with out always asking someone

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
every rhino is different, it all depends on ur motor what u have done to it , what size tires & how heavy r they , 2 seater or 4 seater, what kind of riding,

yes heavier weights will make for more top speed, but would take of slower. u want a math ratio go dyno ur motor find out how much hp u put down ,

other wise ................

also when u put bigger tires on ur machine the speedo does not read the same, u need to use a gps. ur dash is worthless

r u using greaseless weights?

is ur weight 13 grams total ?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
greased that is on gps i have a stock 05 dash no speedo 13 gram weights without the covers i think

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
rhinoless,

Your head is in the right place. But, you are asking for a formula that doesn't exist.

Some basic info...but you prolly already know...

When the motor revs up...the sheave starts spinning faster...the faster the sheave spins the centrifugal force that is applied to the rollers...

The heavier the roller...the less force it takes to make the move away from center...

The CVT (constantly variable transmission) changes gear ratio based on the force applied to the sheave buy the rollers moving away from center.

EDIT

With Orange/13g...and stock tires...the motor is screaming...and vehicle is not accelerating as it could/should because the weights are too light...as compared to stock 16g weights.

Now that is with something close to stock diameter and weight tires...

Bog the motor (let's assume stock everything) down by changing to bigger diameter (taller gearing), and much heavier (lots more mass to rotate), and increase the resistance further with more aggressive tread with more traction...now maybe going down in weight on the rollers helps compensate...

It's strictly trial and error...and everything...including the air intake and carb tuning impact the results...

Why... because if the air intake is restrictive...and the carb is mal-tuned...the motor may (prolly will) bog, stall, hesitate, lean-stumble, etc...trying to compensate for that at the cvt is not going to yield best results...

Here is not what you want to hear...but what will work like a charm everytime...

1. Make sure you are getting every bit of everything that can be had by completely tuning every element of your air intake and carb for max power and best holeshot...preferably with stock...or close to...tires...again so you can get a good read on your tuning...

2. Stick with the orange spring...with the tires of your choice...and the 13g rollers in it... Then run an accurate 0-300' e/t test. Do consecutive runs...get a helper...it makes it more accurate and repeatable.

3. Put the stock rollers in...do the same test...

4. The results will tell you a lot...

5. Then mix four 13g rollers and four 16g rollers...alternating to balance...and run the same test...

At this point...it will be very clear exactly what will and will not work for you.

Tinkering with different springs and weights from could possibly make a small difference... but, you will have a real good idea of what you MIGHT gain and whether it's worth it or not...

BTW... use the exact same method of 0-300' e/t testing for carb tuning with the highest flow air intake available to you...if you have the stock snorkel getting air from the air scoop... convert to 04-style by just removing it...simple as that...that alone can boost your holeshot and add 2-4 mph top speed. I am not guaranteeing it will w/o carb tuning tho...

The above is the most bang for the buck you are going to get out of a basically stock rhino and really should be done regardless of what you have.

EDIT: As far as no covers on the rollers...I am thinking that would knock down top speed some since when the rollers are at max travel the sheave would not be spread as far due to reduced diameter.

With regard to acceleration...I never tried it...but, I can see where it could help...and where it could hurt...

I'd start out with them on...get it all tuned for max...then see what happens w/o the covers...

I would also think you run a much higher risk of them coming out of the track and turning sideways preventing you from up-shifting and/or breaking w/o the covers...

But I could be wrong about that :dunno:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts