Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got into a way off camber situation trying to get around some fallen trees and managed to put my Rhino on it's side again. I have a harness but didn't have it tightened up and the helmet slammed hard against the upper rear side to side roll bar under the roof.

What's a good padding to use on those 2 upper side to side bars including the the forward one with the center handle ?

·
Registered
395 Posts
started with my sandrail and now with the rhino....I buy the cheep 6' long water pipe insulation from harware store...for 1-1 1/4 pipe...works good and cheep...on the bigger 1 1/2 bars it leaves a 1" gap...I just cut a 1" strip from another piece cuz its so cheep....then wrap with electrical tape...the pading on line is like 20 a stick...nice stuff but 100 to do the job...i'm poor..so its up to your wifes finances?...might want to look into widning your rhino with wheels or spacers?...

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The grey foam not the black rubber ?

started with my sandrail and now with the rhino....I buy the cheep 6' long water pipe insulation from harware store...for 1-1 1/4 pipe...works good and cheep...on the bigger 1 1/2 bars it leaves a 1" gap...I just cut a 1" strip from another piece cuz its so cheep....then wrap with electrical tape...the pading on line is like 20 a stick...nice stuff but 100 to do the job...i'm poor..so its up to your wifes finances?...might want to look into widning your rhino with wheels or spacers?...

·
Registered
395 Posts
yeh...its (black foam) pipe insulation....only like 2.00 a 6' stick...and if you look/call they have the 1 to 1 1/4 inch pipe size...and for the the 1 1/2 bars use a new razor blade by hand and it cuts like butter to make new 1" wide pieces to fill the gap...and cut like this \/ to match

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man i would buy some racecar cage padding from Jegs or Summit. Why buy that crap from a hardware store if you can spend a little more and it will look great. No offense to anyone

·
Registered
395 Posts
None taken....the stuff from speedway motors is like 2.99 a 4' stick but looks the same....but is thicker on one side...true roll pading...the other stuff is 20 a 4' piece....and both 10 shipping...like i said if you have the money to spend?...buy it...i'm poor and said both options...he needs to keep his belt tight so your head dont hit anything...it also is about speed...if you are just putting around in the woods and tip over...is differnt to high speed crashes and posable endover enders...if that how you drive you need all sorts of safty stuff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Agreed

·
Registered
252 Posts
Notice guy using phone behind the Rhino. What do you think he's doing? I know::::::

Sends picture to his buddies. hey guys look what I did to my $12,000 UTV. Man those trees got in the way and I spilled my beer too damn it.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah... he had it on Facebook before we got er upright...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Yeah... he had it on Facebook before we got er upright...
Figures, I hate my cell phone, I have to turn it off in order to enjoy an afternoon ride in the hills because some damn phone company decided to install towers in the middle of BFE so now I have service where I don't want service.

·
Registered
395 Posts
and i thought he was calling AAA ?....or Gicko?...silly me

·
Registered
252 Posts
He was probably calling his wife to let her know he was going to be a bit late for dinner, and for her to find a couple of body parts for the rhino.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My buddy is 42 and a great guy but over the past few months he plays with his phone more than a 15 year old girl. I joked with him last time out that... it seems like we go out to do social networking and just happened to have our atv's with us. I just don't get it. He takes more pictures than the photographers at my weddings too... uuuuhhh!

·
Registered
252 Posts
My buddy is 42 and a great guy but over the past few months he plays with his phone more than a 15 year old girl. I joked with him last time out that... it seems like we go out to do social networking and just happened to have our atv's with us. I just don't get it. He takes more pictures than the photographers at my weddings too... uuuuhhh!
Hey wait that could be a new social media network, UTV's under the camera HAHA.

Seriously though, at least no one was hurt. Rolling a vehicle can lead to devastating results I've lost a few friends when I was in high school from vehicle crashes its nothing I wish upon anyone.

However, having the ability to take pictures while on the trail can be a help in some situations.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The picture doesn't really do justice to how off camber that was. The top of the hood got smashed on the tree and actually smashed the air box and even the cage that the air filter element wraps around. The Rhino is pretty tough. The hood popped right out like it never happened and the airbox and filter cage stuff cost me about $40 to replace. You absolutely need a harness in these things and you need to adjust it every time you strap into it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
good thing you had all the skid plates. just kidding-sorry about the tumble.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm running 26.5/9/12 tires on all 4 corners with no spacers to stay narrow because I'm always riding tight trails with quads. You can see in the pic behind my buddy how steep the camber is there. I knew there was a chance I would tip but figured I would drag the top of the cage across those two trees. Well you see what happened when I got between the trees. My mistake was not tightening the harness. Damn near cracked my helmet on top of the cage and I'm not real tall.

I got the pipe insulation and installed it today. I used both types and doubled up. I put the more rigid grey foam on the cage and then then the black rubbery pipe insulation over that. I'll post some pics later.

i would throw a wide offset set of wheels on there or ya 2'' spacers, ur stock and narrow,

·
Registered
395 Posts
I have 2x5 wheels...thats how i got it...is stock 0x5?....I put 1 1/2" spacers on all 4 corners...to me by the looks its not real noticable differnce?...I think the outside of my front wheels...its right at 5 foot wide...i'm looking for a utility trailer and messured it not sure what stock is....some said will fit in truck bed?...48" is stock?....every bit wider should help...i also removed my rear sway bar...that should help the rear wheels articulate more and should help on side hill

1 - 20 of 21 Posts