Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
just bought a 05 rhino 660,has a bad bearing type roar noise w ya give it gas,no noise at idle,guy said he put a new belt on then it made the noise,checked clutch sheve,was clean,cleaned & put new grease in,only has 661 miles on it,never in mud,was out of oil tho too,any suggestions? this is my first rhino by way,been running rails,back injury cant get in it now lol

·
Registered
301 Posts
X2 on the one way bearing

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
thanks for the help guys,gonna tear it down today,looks pretty simple to repair,
When the one way bearing is bad, it is described in the opposite way you described yours. If the bearing is noisy, it will be heard when the engine is idling, when the engine is revved up, the bearing stops spinning inside of itself and spins as an assembly, stopping the noise.
FYI. Good luck with it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well got clutch/ belt off,was in front part at trans side,looked at manual,shaft requires case split,also found front drive shaft yoke loose & leaking oil,got motor out & get tore down,sucks just bought it,gonna call the guy back & give him some s#%t!! didnt want my first rhino to go this way lol

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hope you got it for a decent price at least?
It's only got 661 miles on it? Something doesn't sound right. Unless he rode it REALLY hard and put it away wet every time, I can't see it having those kind of problems just riding it normally. Iguess the fact that it was out of oil might tell you about how he maintained it!
Good luck on the rebuild. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
first owner was handicapped,person i got it from used it to clean his barn out,it has electric dump bed,picked it up for 3000.00,he wanted 5800.00 till i heard noise,thought it was just dirty sheave,not many repair guys around this area who is worth messing with,wish ya was closer to charleston wv chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
engine has rusty bearings,was run on oil too long,gonna need to be rebuilt,call guy who i bought it from & told him they wanted 2500 to rebuid,told him he should help with this repair,gonna rebuid my self,any one have a complete rebuild kit?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Not a "kit" exactly, but I have everything you need. Best thing at this point is to call us at the shop so we can find out what you need and don't need. We won't push anything that you don't need.
Steve would take your order, number is 760-484-0986. Text your number to us if he is on the phone and can't take your call right away.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks chris,i picked motor up & it didnt need everthing they said! only needed a few bearings,everything was good & within specs,called & raised some hell,charge me 150.00 tear down to just guess & price what i didnt need,the parts guy hooked me up for there "mistake",motor is almost done,i am keeping your # for future parts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
computer has been down so havnt been able to update,motor runs great !! not to bad to work on these engines after doing one

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
had it out once,gonna take out again for a new years ride,first ride it done great till a creek crossing or a water hole,the full windshield sucks w it steams up inside at dark lol,got a rear clear cover on it so it keeps somewhat warm in it

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
got 26" itps on there for now till budget allows,speedo only shows 42 mph then gets into rev limit,thinking a bout changing clutch for more bottom end performance,not much need for top end around here,any suggestions?

·
Registered
15 Posts
got 26" itps on there for now till budget allows,speedo only shows 42 mph then gets into rev limit,thinking a bout changing clutch for more bottom end performance,not much need for top end around here,any suggestions?
Get the JBS sheave. It gives better low end "gearing" and more torque. Its a must. Also a CDI and Iridium plug will help make it run smoother.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
x2 on the JBS Hot Rod Sheave with OD slider weights...

You will also want an orange secondary spring...

A high flow air intake with correct jetting will add a lot of rwhp from stop to top speed...even with the stock exhaust...

You will be stuck at 40ish no matter what you do until you remove the factory rev/speed limiter...

The lowest cost way to do that is with the MSD 4240 cdi module that plugs into your stock wiring harness and keeps the stock cdi with stock cdi starting and functioning but raises the rev limit to 8,000 rpms and removes the speed limiter...that will allow you 50ish and will not be rev limited with the stock sheave and with the JBS Hot Rod Sheave it will allow to hit 55ish...

We sell intakes, jet kits, and the MSD 4240 if you are interested just go to our website...or send me a pm with your email address... thank you...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.