Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, I'm interested in how many of you use your Rhino's to plow snow and how well do they do esp. when it's heavy and wet. Also, what size plow are you using do you have an enclosed cab and did you go to a different tire or use the oem until they needed replaced.Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Great for plowing snow!!

I have a '06 660 with a 72" Moose plow and I love it. Got it through Hunterworks 4 years ago and use it every winter. More than enough power, use 4-wheel low for the real heavy stuff. I have Maxum tires and do not need chains. I clear all of the driveways and access roads in my development with no problems.

·
Registered
144 Posts
works great plowing, i use a moose 72" plow also. the factory winch mount location sucks. kept breaking my cable over the fairlead roller witch didnt roll. fixed that for this year. for its size the rhino worked as well as the f350 i have used.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a 72 on my rhino it plow great but if it drifts hard the plow just skips over the top

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guy's. Do any of you have a cab enclosure it get's pretty windy here in NW PA (snow belt country ) with wind chills in the negative numbers. I'm using my 02 Grizz now and wanted something that could handle more and also to get out of the wind. I've been looking at different models and it has come down to the Rhino and the Polaris Ranger 6x6 but not sure on the Polaris reliability. The number of people praising and complaining about the Ranger are so equal and not honestly knowing how the machine was used and or abused makes it hard to make a decision. Looking at some you tube videos it's not hard to see why machines quit working.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Yamaha Crazy.. Yes i have my Rhino enclosed for winter and convertable for summer. I have a fold down windshield, Jstrong roof, Seizmik convertable doors, water heater underhood ducted to cab and a soft backwindow cab. My doors have both windows that zip down and also roll up if you wish to leave em down. Manual wiper ( may put on electric one day) love this set up .. it is super convertable and easy to use.

I have a plow that I am just getting ready to use by I think cross country.. I will have to have a look at it and post updated when I can.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I run a glass windsheild and a steel top year round...for cooler weather, I have J-strong half doors, I "slip" on. When it is cold, I have custom "suicide" top doors with zippered windows I put on. I have a cycle country plow (don't now the width; but, it is as wide as the rhino)...I am sure it is way colder in PA than here WV; but I have never plowed with my top doors on! With the lower doors, I cannot even wear my heavy coat most of the time!!! Keep in mind, when you're plowing, you are not going fast, and you are going back and forth alot...all of the engine heat is radiating up towards you. If you are pushing long runs at any speed, yeah, it will probably be chilly! I had a foreman prior to getting my rhino...there is NO comparison between the two when it comes to pushing snow!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Expoman55 and Scottwv for your cab info. My driveway stretches about 150 yards back into the woods but the entrance is wide open and is like a wind tunnel at times. I definitely need something to protect me from the wind. I'll more than likely go with a hard cab with wiper and windows that open on the doors and also has easy to remove doors for summer. I like the type of cab that has the rear slider in the the rear window also. I work at a paved 3/8 mile race track that happens to be my neighbor so I'll be driving it to work and it's nice to have shelter if it rains while I'm out on their 200 acre property.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
i run wide open performance rhino gear cab doors and heater nice and toasty in montana while i plow

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi folks. Interesting thread. N00b here, first post. Rather than start a new thread, thought I might just tag onto this one.

I own a cabin on a few acres up in the Rockies at about 8000 ft. Live here full time. I'm looking at getting a Rhino to help with chores (and play!), but to justify it, I would want to plow my own snow. Currently paying someone to come in and do that for me.

I have about a 1/4 mile gravel drive plus a parking area that I would need to plow. We get a lot of snow as you can expect, often 24" - 36" at a time. Winters are long, so plowing snow is a major part of what I would want the Rhino to do. It snows a lot, and often up here.

My question for you guys - can a Rhino, with a good plow, handle this kind of work? What kind of snowfall is too much for it? I can't rely on a salesman and would hate to invest only to find that the work is too much for the Rhino. Figured y'all could give it to me straight.

TIA, guys.

ETA:
The guy who plows for me now uses a 2WD pickup with chains and a heavy duty plow 90% of the time.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi SaintlyBrees and welcome!
From everything I've read and heard it would do ok but you wouldn't want to wait until you had so much you couldn't push it back far enough for the next storm. I'm in the same situation you are I live in the Lake Erie snow belt. When I plow with my 4 wheeler I have to push the snow back as far as possible so as to have room for the next storm usually from December through at least April. In an average 48 hr. storm I spend 8 to 10 hrs plowing from start to finish not usually all at the same time but in shifts. Getting the Rhino I'm hoping to cut the time I'm plowing and to be able to feel something when I walk into the house afterwards. lol

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, YamahaCrazy.

Moving the snow out of the way is what our plow guy does now. Luckily, I have plenty of room to push/store the snow between storms. Even a nice cliff to push some of it off, if needed. I think that I'd just have to stay on top of it.

Right now, I don't plan to enclose the cabin, just plan to get a removable windshield. I may find that I need the enclosure, but want to try without it first. We don't usually have the kinds of low temperatures during the day that I would expect you would have with weather coming off of the lakes. We have cold nights, but warmer days - typically.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Welcome!!

The getting rid of it is where you will have issues...like Crazy says...you need to push the first go as far as you can. I dont get NEAR the amount that you guys do; but, I have been "lazy" and not pushed the first fall far enough, and cussed myself the next time because I couldnt push past the hard crunchy stuff.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks, Scott.

For me, time is critical, too. Since we have a tendency to warm up during the day, we get a melt during the day, freeze at night effect once the storm passes.

But, yeah, plenty of room to push/store the snow for the winter.

BTW, are these snow plows maneuverable enough to allow you to "stack" the snow? IOW, can you push the snow to an existing snow bank and use the plow to lift the snow to the top of the bank like you would with a hydraulic plow? Or are they just able to push snow?

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My plow only lifts about 6-8 inches...my mount isn't the front type...it has "push-arms" that go back to brackets that mount to the frame, below your feet. A friend of mine has a front style mount that actually will lift the blade high enough to block the headlights. I dont remember the name of his ; but, the plow was lesser quality (IMO)...it bent the corners back on each side. The mount was well built; but, the plow itself wasn't as strong. I personally do not think you will be able to ramp it though...if the pile is hard enough for you to run on it and not sink in, it will be too hard for the plow to push...the blade will just fold over.

Another thing on the plows....you can store-buy the wings for each side (I made mine...couldnt justify spending $100 bucks for something I could make)...they will cut down tremendously on your time...they keep the trickle of snow from running off the side when you have you blade angled (also helps when the plow is straight too)...less backing up and "re-plowing" .

·
Registered
292 Posts
I made my plow so it mounts in the 2 inch receiver in the front it lifts about as high as the front bumper. I am able to ramp the snow up as high as my fence (about 4 feet) and then push it over the fence. Once the snow sets up you wont be able to move it with the rhino so make you 1st plow of the year nice and wide because it doesn't take long to get piled up, i ususally have to get a tractor in and plow it out a couple of times a year, after a good snow fall and blizzard

·
Registered
26 Posts
Plowing with a Rhino

Hi folks, I'm interested in how many of you use your Rhino's to plow snow and how well do they do esp. when it's heavy and wet. Also, what size plow are you using do you have an enclosed cab and did you go to a different tire or use the oem until they needed replaced.Thanks in advance!
I have a Swisher plow on my little Rhino 450. I plow snow all winter on a long inclined driveway.

Thought I would have to plow down the slope, but the Rhino has no problem plowing up the slope as well.

Love my Swisher. Check their web site for all the cool Rhino attachments: dump bucket, fork lift, front mower. Swisher Products : Home

I don't work for them. I just think they make a good product.

·
Registered
16 Posts
@Mike Hunt

That is good advice. It sometimes only takes one 24 hour period for the snow to set up. Thanks!

@markiemoose

Interesting products. I'm especially interested in the Dump Bucket. I can see a lot of use for that. We live in the middle of nowhere (60 miles to the nearest stop light), but I see that there is a Swisher dealer in the next town over...

·
Registered
615 Posts
I use an OEM Yamaha snow plough...........Yamaha Rhino 660 Accessories, Yamaha Rhino 660 Yamaha Snow Plow System
It works awesome, doesnt ride over the snow and just ploughs, I like the tapered design, on long driveways you can rip along at about 20kmph and put the snow off the laneway some 6 to 7 meters...............
The only change I made was to add a deflector on the top edge to deflect snow downwards and keep it out of my face.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts