Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
will start up run for 5 to 10 seconds , then dies wont start back up unless you wait about 5 or 10 minutes. Then it will start up run for a few seconds and die. I need help! put a new fuel filter on does not change anything

·
Registered
135 Posts
will start up run for 5 to 10 seconds , then dies wont start back up unless you wait about 5 or 10 minutes. Then it will start up run for a few seconds and die. I need help! put a new fuel filter on does not change anything
660 or 700?

·
Registered
535 Posts
did you check to see if your getting fuel. make sure there are no kinks bends in your fuel lines. a lot of guys on this forum are running clear fuel lines to make it easier to check. make sure your jets aren't plugged on your carb. do you have fresh fuel in your tank?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Anyone ever have any luck figuring out this problem?

I am working on my dads Rhino. I believe his is a 700. It will start up and run for about 20 seconds and die. It wont start back unless it sits for about 10-20 minutes. Then it does the same thing. I took loose the fuel fitting on the fuel rail and turned on the key and it pumped all kinds of fuel. I put an ignition tester on the spark plug and it seems to be getting spark, I cant tell if its enough though.

I sprayed a little ether(starting fluid) straight into the intake hose and it never tried to even start.

Sometimes after it sits and I go out there to start if back up, it runs a really high idle. I will play with the throttle a bit, and it will not go down to normal idle, it stays high.

It does have a black rhino digital ignition system.

I dont think it the timing, as when it does start up and run, its smooth, just like its suppose to be, not rough.

This just started all at once yesterday.

Ideas?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I am ignorant on fuel injection but I do know a lot of those early release ECUs had problems...

Do you have the factory ECU ... if you do re-install it and see if that helps...

Also... I have heard that airbox/filter mods can wreak havoc on the air temp sensor and cause problems...

Good luck and hopefully efi guys will see this thread...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am ignorant on fuel injection but I do know a lot of those early release ECUs had problems...

Do you have the factory ECU ... if you do re-install it and see if that helps...

Also... I have heard that airbox/filter mods can wreak havoc on the air temp sensor and cause problems...

Good luck and hopefully efi guys will see this thread...
Which one is the ECU??

I see 3 boxes on this thing and I am not sure which one is the ecu,dci,etc...

There is on mounted under the hood inside the fuse box and has a mitusbishi symbol on it(2 connections).

There is another box mounted on what some would call the firewall(under the hood) about straight across from the steering wheel. It has a few horizontal fins on it.

Then finally, there is the black rhino box under the passenger seat..this is it:

Yamaha Rhino 700 EFI Ignition Speed Limiter - Black Rhino Performance

·
Registered
6 Posts
Road runner, My 660 is at the mechanic now with the same problem. When they solve it I will let you know. I was told the CDI may be bad or possibly the pickup coil on the stater

·
Registered
1 Posts
I need some help on a related issue. Rebuilt the top end of the bike. Ran fine but had a hard time starting. Ran it for a bit and then it would start and die. Figured out I didn't have the de-compressor set properly (backwards) So I fixed that issue and it turns over better but still wont stay running. as soon as I let of the key when it fires it turns over 2 twice more and dies. thinking its either a computer problem or a throttle body problem? has new fuel but maybe it sucked something from the bottom of the tank? scratching my head a bit because it ran fine until one day it just refused to. Ignition is set properly, spark plug is new, full tank of new fuel, de-compressor is working now, tons of compression with the new top end, start relay is fine. any advice is appreciated
Thank you in advance

1 - 10 of 10 Posts