Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having trouble with my 05 rhino 660 not starting with the MSD 4217 ignition box inline with my ECU. If I remove the MSD ignition box from the circuit it starts. I do have the 42171 harness installed in it. ALBA racing did the 686 big bore kit and I installed it. I am completely confused at this point. I have a feeling the MSD ignition box is no good. Any help in this matter would be great. If you have experienced this problem please tell me what you did to resolve the problem.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I am having trouble with my 05 rhino 660 not starting with the MSD 4217 ignition box inline with my ECU. If I remove the MSD ignition box from the circuit it starts. I do have the 42171 harness installed in it. ALBA racing did the 686 big bore kit and I installed it. I am completely confused at this point. I have a feeling the MSD ignition box is no good. Any help in this matter would be great. If you have experienced this problem please tell me what you did to resolve the problem.
I'm a bit confused. You say you have a 660. You say that you have a ECU? The ECU is meant to control a fuel injected engine. The 660s are carbureted and have a CDI to control the spark plug firing. Have you got a hybrid there or have you been trying to control a CDI with an piggy backed ECU controller?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is a 660 and I guess you call it a CDI. It is a carbureted motor. If you look at the manual for this model it calls it an ECU. I am a car guy so I refer to them all as ECU. sorry for the confusion

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
it is a 660 and I guess you call it a CDI. It is a carbureted motor. If you look at the manual for this model it calls it an ECU. I am a car guy so I refer to them all as ECU. sorry for the confusion
So are you sure that your controller is intended to work with your CDI. Normally, you just buy an aftermarket replacement CDI that has different settings to control engine rev limiters, etc.

When the controller is intended to control multiple engine operating parameters (spark and fuel, etc.) it is properly called an "Engine Control Unit" (ECU). The term CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) implies only the ignition control. In these Rhinos, they both also control other aspects such as rev limiters, idiot lights, etc. It is a confusing brave new world for everyone. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is what alba racing told me I needed to run there kit. I have wondered why but I have a feeling that the map from alba that I installed in the MSD is to run on pump fuel with the compression ratio. I am very confused why this wont start. I am not sure if this thing wont run.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
This is what alba racing told me I needed to run there kit. I have wondered why but I have a feeling that the map from alba that I installed in the MSD is to run on pump fuel with the compression ratio. I am very confused why this wont start. I am not sure if this thing wont run.
I see. I did a Google on this thing and it turns out to be a complete ignition controller. It is not shown to be piggy backed onto your CDI, but rather, replaces it altogether for running the ignition. I have no clue to how the existing CDI would like this but you would have to cut the connection from CDI to the ignition pulse coil on the engine, Also you would cut the connection from CDI to the ignition coil.

The MSD 4217 then takes the CDI's place in doing the ignition thing. The diagram shows 2 wires going to an MSD coil. I have no clue how you would hook an additional wire to a stock ignition coil. I think you are going to have to decide if you really need to do this or just stick with the factory or an aftermarket CDI.

You had better talk to Alba to see what they are thinking as to require this approach to running your new engine.

A link to download MSD's instructions:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...dhWNrvbF7mn2ZsADA&sig2=Jtpo1tjQQbphsk5oE3D8cA

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I realized just now that Alba also gave you a wire harness that presumably cuts the connections out from the CDI for you. The wiring diagram shows you what they probably did in the wire harness. The TPS (Throttle Position Sensor) does not exist in a 660, which might be confusing the black box. It sort of looks like a drag racing ignition setup with control of the throttle and all. Kinda strange to use with a carburetor. Again, Alba needs to get this to work for you and only they really know why they are doing this.

Good luck.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks I agree. they have not been much help to me and I saw another post on here from about 4 years ago and I replied to there post and have not heard anything yet so I thought I would try this avenue. I an just frustrated. alba tells me they know MSD's part better than they do. I just want this to run

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
if you google the harness number 42171 it will show you how it is hooked up. That diagram is for a stand alone cdi box.
This is what I got from a an automotive parts site that sells it. Nice picture of it, eh?

MSD site shows nothing but a couple of black x'es

Apparently they give you some sort of instructions to install it? If so perhaps you will want to review it, especially any fine print.

At any rate, I suspect that simply using the stock CDI will get you by. Unless this is a Nitro machine setup complete with blower? :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is the exact harness. I don't have a stock CDI in it right now but I have one coming. I have a dynatek in in right now. I did talk to MSD today and they agree with me and think the MSD box is bad so I have another one coming

·
Banned
188 Posts
I run the same msd. It piggybacks into the stock cdi. It may not be starting bc your Cdi is not stock. Aftermarket Cdi is fighting with the msd with Alba maps. That's what I'm thinking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I got my stock CDI box today and installed it and to no avail it did not start. If I removed the MSD CDI box and hooked it up like it was from the factory it fired up. I am not sure what is going on but I am thinking a bad MSD CDI box. I am sending it back to get a new one so we will see. If anyone has any other ideas to why it is not starting please help me out. I am not sure what will happen if I run just the stock CDI box only and not the MSD with Alba's map in it. any help is appreciated. I am completely baffled at this point.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
there is no stupid question as I am asking for the help.Yes it is but I am sure I could use a new one. I also have the start mode on my charger. But I can still start it with no help from a charger when I use the stock CDI unit

1 - 20 of 37 Posts