Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well got another question for ya. Last week I drove the rhino and parked it at my house. The next day I went to move it into the barn and turned the key and nothing. The pod doesnt light up. I then hooked it up to my auto battery charger to see if the battery was dead. The charger said 100%. Then I turned key again and pod turned on and rhino fired right up. Rode it around the yard a few more times no problems. Well this weekend while in the woods setting up a deer stand I shut the rhino off and bam the same thing. So I walked back to my truck and had a set of jumper cables. I hook the cables up to my optima battery thats in rhino but not on charging system and the pod came on and fired up. Later that night I went to load it up on the trailer and same problem. This time jumper cables did not work. So I had to push on trailer with tractor (which I was not happy about). Yesterday I went to get it off the trailer and once again same problem. Hooked it up to the charger and of course says 100%. This time it still did nothing. So I got out my test light and checked some wires. Halfway through this process the pod got power and of course rhino fired right up. Rode it around yard and parked it in the barn and tried to start and of course no power to pod.

I was reading on a post on here about a similar problem and they replaced the ignition switch and it fixed it. My question is if I do this does it come with a key and ready to go or does it have to go to dealership? Also is this where I should start? Any other sugestions would be great! It just started to do this and I dont want to be way off and this problem pop up.

The atv is a 2005 rhino 660 with a dynateck.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Check your grounds, batt. cable connections? do you have headlites working with just the key on? do a load test on your battery, just some things to start looking at,, hope this helps, good luck & let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked all battery connections and all fuses up front. I read about the ground that is on the motor. But i have jeep seats in the front which are a pain to get out so I will wait to check on that. I have HID's installed as headlights wired to high. The last time it messed up was at night and the hids started to flicker and I tried to turn hids on and off as this is how i fix this on my brute force. But didnt help and when i shut it off thats the last time that it wouldnt get power to pod. As to the question when my key is on I have nothing. No lights on pod, parking brake, headlights, tail lights. I ordered an oem ignition switch, waiting on its arrival. I will post if this fixes it.

Thanks guys!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
It could be the ignition switch it self, the internal mechanism of it are made of plastic that worn out through the years of usage. But seems like it could be a loose connection, have you check for any burned or loose relays?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.