Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a bit of guidance from you electrical guys. I have a 2004 rhino 660. Took it out over the 4th of July. After riding a good chunk of the day off and on, we turned it off to take a break. Tried to restart it and it would crank but not fire. Eventually towed it to camp and brought it home.

Looking at the battery it was fairly corroded so I cleaned it and threw it on the trickle charger. After charging it fired right up. Drove around the house but about a minute later it died again and would just crank. Took the battery and it tested bad. Bought a new one, installed it and again it fired right up, worked for about a minute and just died. Charged it again and had the same problem.

Since it will reliably start when it has been sitting on the trickle charger, but not after sitting without it for the same duration, I’m thinking it must be electrical. I’m guessing stator, rectifier, or maybe ignition coil.

Do those sound like the likely culprits? If so is there a way to test them?

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
I can tell you from experience that if it was the stator and it died,it would not crank over.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had same type of issue but mine would not crank on my 2007 660 I cleaned battery connections put in new battery and still had problem. I started in the battery box and pulled each fuse cleaned and reseated them then cleaned all the connections I could find it fixed the issue

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Grounds x 3. Frame to battery at the rail is first. Add one ! Battery to motor probably OK but check anyway.

·
Registered
518 Posts
IIRC... go to Hotrodforums, the JBS site, and look for Rhino forum "Sticky's" by SteveS on electrical and grounding. a wealth of info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts