Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a fairly clean 04 660 Rhino today that had a rod bust the cases. I have a small salvage yard and have 2 complete 660 Grizzly motors that at least have good cases. I've read a little about what needs to be done and doesn't seem to be a big deal. I noticed that the transmission gears were said to be different and so I checked a schematic to see how much. The 02-03 Grizzly have different transmissions than the 04+ Grizzly. I know one of the bikes I have is an 02 and I'll have to check on the other. I'm hoping its 04+ so that I would have whichever I feel is the best. Here is the schematic for the transmission on the 02 grizzly and 04 Rhino. Yamaha ATV Parts 2004 RHINO 660 HARDWOODS CAMO HUNTER EDITION (Realtree Hardwoods Camo) - YXR66FAHS TRANSMISSION Diagram Yamaha ATV Parts 2002 GRIZZLY 660 - YFM660FP TRANSMISSION Diagram As you can see the gears are different. I don't have a problem opening up one of the bottom ends I have and putting whatever gears need to be put in from the Rhino, but I was wondering if it would be possible to interchange gears from both bikes? I would want the lowest for low range and highest for high, best of both worlds I guess.

Next questions is for top end. I won't to stay reliable but add a little more power. I was thinking maybe a 686 and Raptor cam, maybe high compression piston. I don't know that I will end up keeping the bike so I don't want to go too much because it tends to scare people off. Any feedback on that setup and how reliable and the kind of gains you get. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
I'm no gearhead, so all I can say is welcome to the site and good luck on the swap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it could be as simple as the ring and pinion in the lower half of the motor since the motor sits backwards in the rhino compared to the quad. drive shafts spin backwards?

·
Vendor
3,516 Posts
it could be as simple as the ring and pinion in the lower half of the motor since the motor sits backwards in the rhino compared to the quad. drive shafts spin backwards?
It does not turn backwards, the gears in the front diff and rear diff are on opposite side to compensate for this.

The grizzly is higher geared in a gear or two, I have done this but been a long time

The grizzly has a park mechanism in it too, should be removed

Todd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It does not turn backwards, the gears in the front diff and rear diff are on opposite side to compensate for this.

The grizzly is higher geared in a gear or two, I have done this but been a long time

The grizzly has a part mechanism in it too, should be removed

Todd

Did you mean park mechanism instead of part?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
depends on what year the grizz cases are, there are ways to tell as yamaha changed the cases until they became one size fits all...if its an early design u have to bore out the middle drive gear saddles to clearance the lower rhino gear, pull out the park parts and then cut the weld on the shifter plate and re index it to fit the rhino shifter, I've done a few, couplers need to be swapped out too for the shafts, thats all the main stuff....i run grizzly cases on alot of my rhino builds, you just have to change the shift shaft too if you're swapping the rhino guts into earlier cases...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
depends on what year the grizz cases are, there are ways to tell as yamaha changed the cases until they became one size fits all...if its an early design u have to bore out the middle drive gear saddles to clearance the lower rhino gear, pull out the park parts and then cut the weld on the shifter plate and re index it to fit the rhino shifter, I've done a few, couplers need to be swapped out too for the shafts, thats all the main stuff....i run grizzly cases on alot of my rhino builds, you just have to change the shift shaft too if you're swapping the rhino guts into earlier cases...

I have 02 and 03 motors. Do you have pics of exactly what has to be bored out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
I've just finished this to my rhino, swapped the driveshaft yokes from the rhino engine, installed the oil cooler and dropped it in. I did how ever freshen the engine up with a wiseco 10 to 1 102mm piston and new valves for the head. The gearing seams better for my kind for riding the engine is more relaxed cruising now. About 45 to 4700 rpm @ 40ish mph instead of the 52 to 5500. When I hit the killer hills on the pipeline still more than enough power to spin the tires all the way up in high range.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've just finished this to my rhino, swapped the driveshaft yokes from the rhino engine, installed the oil cooler and dropped it in. I did how ever freshen the engine up with a wiseco 10 to 1 102mm piston and new valves for the head. The gearing seams better for my kind for riding the engine is more relaxed cruising now. About 45 to 4700 rpm @ 40ish mph instead of the 52 to 5500. When I hit the killer hills on the pipeline still more than enough power to spin the tires all the way up in high range.

What did you have to do on the oil cooler? Did the Grizzly cases have the hook ups for the oil lines? What year motor did you use?

·
Registered
13 Posts
To be honest I don't know what year lol I was just happy to find one up here in Canada close to where I live. To mount the cooler you just have to remove to location pin.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How hard was it to change the yolks? I bought a grizzly motor for the bottom end and put new cylinder and piston in and realized the yolks were on different ends.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts