Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 rhino 660. Rebuilt top end of motor put new Gibson exhaust on cleaned air filter and fuel filters, cleaned carb triple checked timing and valve clearance. Rhino has afe aftermarket air box and filter and was jetted for intake filter. But when I get up too 25-30MPH it starts popping in the carb.. please help what could it be..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
3,509 Posts
I have a 2007 rhino 660. Rebuilt top end of motor put new Gibson exhaust on cleaned air filter and fuel filters, cleaned carb triple checked timing and valve clearance. Rhino has afe aftermarket air box and filter and was jetted for intake filter. But when I get up too 25-30MPH it starts popping in the carb.. please help what could it be..

Popping and won't go faster?

Is this air box a open type? Could be not enough vacuum and not opening the vacuum slide enough or intermittently

My opinion on a 660 is always use stock air box and never has been an advantage to change it. Proved it here on the dyno

Just a FYI I am guessing you had to jet it to larger jets, but not for the reason you think, it is not flowing more air to the engine, there is not enough vacuum so you have to have bigger jets to allow the fuel to flow through. Takes less vacuum to pull through a bigger jet

Todd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does have the open filter I’ll check the vacuum line. I did check fuel level in the bowl it was a bout 3/4 to the top of the bowl not sure if that would cause the problem I haven’t adjusted it yet...

·
Vendor
3,509 Posts
It does have the open filter I’ll check the vacuum line. I did check fuel level in the bowl it was a bout 3/4 to the top of the bowl not sure if that would cause the problem I haven’t adjusted it yet...

Not vacuum line, no vacuum to operate the carb right, needs a closed box like stock

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It didn’t do it before until I rebuilt the top end the valves and piston had a lot of black soot on them so cleaned replaced rings, valve guides cause it had a lot of smoke blowing out exhaust. I also cleaned air filter and fuel filter they was really bad.. this is my uncles rhino I’m trying to repair it for him. It was burning oil really bad and he had driven low on oil a few times do you think it could be the wet clutch slipping since he did run it low on oil so many times that it’s worn down and at high rpms it’s slipping and hitting the limiter he does have a rhino craft cdi box... And I did clean all the parts there was no more buildup on any parts they look like new when I got done...

·
Premium Member
3,134 Posts
Good call thats alot of soot, does it take off as soon as u hit the gas, another question is what type of oil did he run in it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It takes off pretty good until you get the rpms up.. I used Yamaha lube 10w-40....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts