Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im new to the forum and just had to join cause as of now my rhino is my favorite orv! well i got a 2006 660 rhino and it is a little rough around the edges it works great but i havent been up on the maintenance lately or ever haha :) anyways what can i go to make it tip top like anything i can do to tune it up any? or anything like that, also the plastics are a little faded on it so what is the best way to clean them up? also any little secrets or anything to looks for to make it faster or lighter or anything like that if ya know what i mean, i love my rhino but i think we can all admit they are a little slow, i dont need to much more top speed but it wouldnt hurt haha, and how much water can you go through with them when stock? thanks for anything you say!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Anything and everything you can buy or do to a one cylinder motor with a cvt is available...!!!

You can make them VERY fast... http://www.rhinoforums.net/ruttingrhino-com/57234-bench-racing.html

12" of water (floorboards) with a bone stock vehicle...more is pushing your luck...if you want to do a lot of water you should snorkel EVERYTHING...

If you have a stock CDI now you are stuck at top speed of 40ish period...

Add a cdi (we sell the MSD 4240 that works with the stock cdi and does the same thing as the more expensive replacement CDIs) will allow you to hit 50ish with stock vehicle running the most rpms the motor can pull due to hp/lb ratio... it is on sale now for $99.99 shipped...

Add a machined sheave and that will get you 55 mph + (we used to sell sheaves but not currently)...and without a CDI or the MSD 4240 you will not be able to beat the 40mph factory speed limiter...that is NOT true for a 700 so don't get confused about that...

If you get a sheave like the JBS that is machined for lower gearing from a stop you will get a better jump out of the hole and spin the tires more easily...and I recommend you get an orange secondary spring for your cvt regardless of whatever else you do or don't do...

The most bang for the buck for power is at the intake with jetting... we sell two versions of our custom intake that make excellent power even with the stock exhaust...it eliminates the air box...

If you need to be snorkeled due to deep water you can get an airbox lid delete adapter (not from us) and use a clamp-on uni filter and then make your own high-flow snorkel for it...not the most power you can make but not far behind either if you do it right...you will need jetting...we sell the best jet kit available for that... OURs... :)

Of course if you add a good exhaust it will make more power and they are all LOUD regardless of what people say... lol...

A top end kit like a 686 or 693 with piston and cam will help considerably...a good port job with +1 valves like Racer's Edge AZ or Benchmark Performance will make a big difference...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Yes there is... You can buy an MSD for the 700... we don't sell them but other vendors on here do...

You are better off IMO getting a machined sheave first, however...then add a CDI later if you want to... the CDI w/o a machined sheave will allow hit 50 also but at the most rpms the motor can pull limited only by the hp/lb ...

If you get a JBS machined sheave for OD slider weights it will give you lower gearing from a stop...and at the same time give you a top speed of approximately 50 mph at the factory rev limiter with no other modifications...it will also lower your cruising rpms at higher speeds significantly which is a pretty big deal imo...

If you add an MSD to that it will remove the rev limiter and you can expect to hit 55 mph ... that MSD will also allow you to modify the fuel curve if you add an exhaust...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Download the factory manual and go through the recommended factory maintenance schedule. It's about 2 pages long and can be completed in a weekend. After that, JBS sheave, carb rejet and filter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I assume the sheave is not as hard on the engine as the MSD, with the lower rpm at higher speeds. How much $$ would I be looking to spend if I went with the sheave (installed) VS the MSD taking into consideration I am an office geek and can't do much beyond put gas in it and change the oil? Thanks for The info.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I believe a sheave will help the life of the motor by reducing load on take off by lowering the gearing and it makes the rpms lower at all speeds when cruising, which also helps.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts