Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No problem when riding 20-30 MPH but when I slow down rhino gets hot. When I stop the fan is not on but if I wait for a few minutes fan comes on and rhino cools down. Have checked the fan it comes on when radiator is about 160 and runs till radiator is about 147 but several times when I have heard fan running it slows down like the fan is going bad. Bought a high performance fan and shroud and am also asking for tips on changing this out as it looks like a BIG job. Any help appreciated. New to riding but love it.

Why would the fan not be on if the motor is hot? Why does it take a few minutes to come on?

·
Registered
2009 Yamaha Rhino 700 Sport Edition
34 Posts
Following. I have the same issue with mine. When crawling down steep hills it seems to heat up. Fan does eventually come on but doesn't seem to come on quick enough.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This goes with an earlier post. my 2008 rhino gets hot. Ambient. temp mid to upper The light comes on and you can hear water boil but the fan is not running. It seems if the water temp is at that level the fan should be on. Am I missing something? I have burped the system and had to add about 1/4 cup. When the fan does come on it runs for probably 2 minutes then stops. When the fan does come on I checked with a heat gun and the fan comes on at about 160 and off at about 145
I have been having issues with the temp and burped it and it helped but did not fix completely. i did buy a high performance replacement fan but have not installed yet. but if the fan is not coming on don't think this will help

Any help appreciated. love to ride but this is about to get the best of me

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This goes with an earlier post. my 2008 rhino gets hot. Ambient. temp mid to upper The light comes on and you can hear water boil but the fan is not running. It seems if the water temp is at that level the fan should be on. Am I missing something? I have burped the system and had to add about 1/4 cup. When the fan does come on it runs for probably 2 minutes then stops. When the fan does come on I checked with a heat gun and the fan comes on at about 160 and off at about 145
I have been having issues with the temp and burped it and it helped but did not fix completely. i did buy a high performance replacement fan but have not installed yet. but if the fan is not coming on don't think this will help

ambient upper 80s

·
Registered
2009 Yamaha Rhino 700 Sport Edition
34 Posts
what did you do to remedy the issue?
Haven’t done anything. Still have the issue. Just pulled over on the side of the trail and let it cool down while having a smoke and a beer break.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Haven’t done anything. Still have the issue. Just pulled over on the side of the trail and let it cool down while having a smoke and a beer break.
[
I can do that but my beer intake will probably rise to the point of DRUNK

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Rhino 660, Explorer, new Progressive 429 Shocks
25 Posts

If you have boiling in the radiator then the system isn't sealed. Likely suspects include a bad radiator cap, a bad hose, a leak in the radiator, or a bad water pump. Start with a new cap, that's often all you need. I recently purchased a 2006 Rhino 660 and I'm going through it making sure everything is up to speed. I replaced all the rubber hoses, including aged brake lines, snorkle hoses, and fuel lines, cheap compared to breaking down on a day of hunting or off road fun.

Keep us informed of what you find, don't let the thread die like so many on here without a resolution.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Might be your "oil pump driveN gear" or "oil pump drive gear" I can't remember which but they are both in the same area and one drives off of the other, whichever on it was drives your water pump. I know because I was chasing a overheat issue for about 1 year. I cracked open the case and found that even-though my water pump shaft was "visibly" turning it would not turn if I put a load on it. The gear is nylon with a metal insert and the metal insert was spinning but stripped out inside the nylon. I hope that made sense. Good Luck.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Actually switching a fan and shroud is pretty easy. Even I did it. There are several youtube videos showing how to do it. I think there is one in the tutorial section on here.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Until you get this figured out, consider installing an inline switch so you can manually turn your fan on as needed. Also suggest installing a temp gauge, or at the very least, replace the radiator cap with one that's also a manual temp gauge.....got mine from RockyMountainATV.com.

RADIATOR CAP TEMP GAUGE

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If you have boiling in the radiator then the system isn't sealed. Likely suspects include a bad radiator cap, a bad hose, a leak in the radiator, or a bad water pump. Start with a new cap, that's often all you need. I recently purchased a 2006 Rhino 660 and I'm going through it making sure everything is up to speed. I replaced all the rubSber hoses, including aged brake lines, snorkle hoses, and fuel lines, cheap compared to breaking down on a day of hunting or off road fun.

Keep us informed of what you find, don't let the thread die like so many on here without a resolution.
I cleaned the radiator very good and rode half dozen times no issue to night rode 30-40 min at 15-30 mph no issues.. Slowed to 4-5 mph for 20 minutes no issues back to 25 mph for 20 min. no issues. Let it idle for 10 min while I went in. Came out temp light on can hear water boiling and steam but cooling fan not running. I'm at my wits end HELP!!!!!!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I cleaned the radiator very good and rode half dozen times no issue to night rode 30-40 min at 15-30 mph no issues.. Slowed to 4-5 mph for 20 minutes no issues back to 25 mph for 20 min. no issues. Let it idle for 10 min while I went in. Came out temp light on can hear water boiling and steam but cooling fan not running. I'm at my wits end HELP!!!!!!

LEFT IN YARD TO COOL BEFORE I PUT IT UP.. BACK OUT 10 MINUTES LATER TURNED IT ON NO TEMP LIGHT BUT FAN IS NOW RUNNING.. WTF IS UP

·
Registered
745 Posts
Sounds like a fan issue in that it is not coming on when needed - maybe the sensor that controls the fan is faulty?

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Rhino 660, Explorer, new Progressive 429 Shocks
25 Posts
Long idling is never a good idea. Why would you want it to idle 10 minutes? That being said, the system cannot boil if it is sealed, if you had a problem at the end after a long idle, I would suggest it is the radiator cap and a faulty temperature sensor for the cooling fan, you can bypass the sensor and add a switch and turn it on if you are going to idle it for long periods. I would stongly suggest you stop idling it that long as you can overheat the CVT belt, other expensive things, and then you have real problems.

The typical UTV radiator cap is 1.1 bar and you can bump that up to 1.3 bar, they go much higher but you could blow a head gasket if you put too pressure much on it. When the temperature rises to 1.1 bar the cap vents, that's when it allows boiling and the pressure vents into the reservoir. If you went to a 1.3 bar cap, you have the cooling fan working, and you stop letting it idle so long you would likely resolve your issues.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'd start with the basics like replacing the thermostat, bleeding the air out of the coolant system, and installing a gauge to measure/monitor engine temp & fan operation.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts