Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 09 Rhino 700 I have been hearing a funny noise from the clutch area. With everything closed up it makes a romp ropm sound kind of like a a helocopter. Anyways I tore it down tonight and took a video.
Can someone advise me what the sound is? It sounds like metal on metal.

25e3f09f.mp4 video by SargeAC650 - Photobucket

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to add I will tear it down tomorow evening and check the grease and rollers. Just never heard one make this kind of noise.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
OMG...

That thing looks and sounds like it's been thru HELL... :lol:

You need to contact James... WV Hot Rod Rhino... JBS...

First of all...is that the highest that belt goes...were you revving it until the belt would not go higher...it was kinda hard to tell...

Anyway...you need to take the primary off... clean/degrease/inspect...

My guess is the grease is all caked hard as a rock and your roller covers are shot making it metal on metal...probably tore up the sheave and cam plate but you won't know until you look at it...

The good news is if you get a Hot Rod sheave it will be a whole new machine and any CVT parts including a new belt or whatever James will have...

·
Registered
561 Posts
Call James @ Jbs, he will have all the stuff you need, and of course his sheave! Dont be fooled by knock off, the hot rod sheave is the best sheave on the market. JBS: Cell: 304-673-2602 Shop: 304-877-3419

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just caked up grease. I had a set of rollers at the house. The fixed plate was making all of the noise.
As to Sheve I've had them before and to be honest the riding we do (less than 10 mph) in thick nasty water and mud they are not really nesesary.

Thanks for the replies though.

·
Banned
833 Posts
Just caked up grease. I had a set of rollers at the house. The fixed plate was making all of the noise.
As to Sheve I've had them before and to be honest the riding we do (less than 10 mph) in thick nasty water and mud they are not really nesesary.

Thanks for the replies though.
thats what our sheave is for....lots more bottom with good top end too:banana::banana::banana:

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
What fixed plate are you refering to? The cam plate, or the fixed half of the primary sheave. Neither should be making a metallic knocking sound. I would reassemble, using greasless parts, at the very least, after seeing what kind of terrain you ride in. All machined sheaves before James came out with his new approach on the way to do it wouldn't have helped you. His is machined only at the bottom of the roller track, allowing the sheave to open a little more which starts the CVT at a lower gear ratio then stock. He then uses the OD weights, which will raise the gear ratio on the top end. The lower gearing it provides below 10mph is exactly what you need and the top end speed just comes with the package, wether you need it or not. Hahaha!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I plan on going to the greasless rollers in the future but for now the fresh grease seems to have done the trick.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Great, that's what matters most is that you have it working right and your riding! Hahaha!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
Just wondering .....hoping.....could you hear it from the other side and think it might be coming from the starter drive side?
The metal to metal did it go away with acceleration?
I have an issue that sounds kind of like that but it is definitely on the passenger side.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No it was on the driver side for sure. Was also making noise on decelleration.

The fixed plate was basically not staying with the rollers.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts