Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had a problem with the emergancy brake cable coming apart on a ride causing the brake not to release all the way and setting the debry around the rotor on fire. This has happened to me twice once it was my fault the secound was a cable failure. We ride in the desert a lot and alot of weeds and grass collect around the e brake area.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I haven't been as far as down the block on mine, but please tell me how you found this assuming the evidence of smoke as behind you, how did you know you were on fire ?

Please tell me (show pics) where this happens because my hair is on fire all work week, I don't need my weekend to catch on fire too !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
rhino fire

Sorry I don't have pics of the area, but it happened in a remote part of the Arco,Id dessert lots of sage brush and areas where there has been wild fires that burn off the sage and in its place crested wheat grass grows back and there is the problem heads of this grass and chaff geather in the area around the e- brake rotor this is not a concren as long as the e-brake is completly off but if it is on even on one click the rotor gets red hot and sets the junk on fire. You can tell this has happened because of the smoke that comes up under the seats and engine cover burning sage has a very distinct smell. I do not think this would happen in the mountains or any where you did not have the grass. You would just mess up the e-brake. Long story short check the brake cable often when it seperatd at the adjustment nut under the engine cover is what caused this fire. Over all I have really enjoyed this machine very tough and reliable just takes the normal kinds of maintence to keep things working right. I have put 3500 miles on my 08 most of them in very remote areas here in Idaho some in the mountains but most in the dessert. Have fun ride hard .

·
Registered
525 Posts
Riding in any tall stuff can result in an accumulation of foliage on top of the Rhino's skids and when it's tinder dry, bad things can happen!
Even driving in the hay field, I had a buildup of all kinds of alfalfa, clover, weed seed heads, stems etc. Just the kind of kindling needed for a fire!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Huntin Dawg: I meant where on the Rhino LOL. Iffn I'm on fire, I want to know where to put myself out ! :aargh4:

....but I think I got the overall idea. So while we don't usually get into dry brush in the So Cal desert, by summer (and we don't go out then) the calf high grass (or higher) would be dry and I can see the potential for that happening.

No sense having an $8K bonfire. I think I'll get myself one of those small fire extinguishers just in case.

Thanks guys...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.