Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a small problem with my 2005 rhino 660. I went riding this last weekend and it ran fine for around an hour. Let it sit for a few hours and then started riding again. Was riding at about half throttle and let off the gas. When I went to drive again the rhino started to bust up. I put in neautral and it cleared out. Then a little while later it happened again. This time I couldnt get it to clear out. So I let it sit for a few minutes and it was fine. Once again we rode a little bit more and happened again. This time it was late at night so I didnt wait as long and it never cleared out. I drove back and it busted up the whole way but if I eased off the gas it will clear out some and pick up speed. Well yesterday I wanted to wash it. When i went to start it, it fired right up. As im pulling it out of the shop it started again and then just cleaned right out. And after washing it drove around the house and ran fine like nothing ever happendd the night before. Im going to friday clean the carb and possibly empty the gas tank. Does anyone have any ideas of what else it could be? Could it be getting hot and the motor cutting off as a saftey thing?? Any ideas would be [email protected]

thanks!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Got a small problem with my 2005 rhino 660. I went riding this last weekend and it ran fine for around an hour. Let it sit for a few hours and then started riding again. Was riding at about half throttle and let off the gas. When I went to drive again the rhino started to bust up. I put in neautral and it cleared out. Then a little while later it happened again. This time I couldnt get it to clear out. So I let it sit for a few minutes and it was fine. Once again we rode a little bit more and happened again. This time it was late at night so I didnt wait as long and it never cleared out. I drove back and it busted up the whole way but if I eased off the gas it will clear out some and pick up speed. Well yesterday I wanted to wash it. When i went to start it, it fired right up. As im pulling it out of the shop it started again and then just cleaned right out. And after washing it drove around the house and ran fine like nothing ever happendd the night before. Im going to friday clean the carb and possibly empty the gas tank. Does anyone have any ideas of what else it could be? Could it be getting hot and the motor cutting off as a saftey thing?? Any ideas would be [email protected]

thanks!
The question you need to answer for yourself is how much fuel is in the line to the carb and in the float at the time it malfunctions...

All of our fuel delivery kits include transparent fuel lines including clear drain tube specifically for making it easier to trouble shoot these kinds of problems...

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Fuel Delivery Kits at RuttingRhino.com

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

You say after sitting for minutes it was fine...question is how many seconds of cranking the motor did it take to start again after sitting for a while...

If it fired right away and ran fine for a while it is most likely a piece of sand or whatever getting stuck in one of the jets then when it sits the debris falls away and it runs again until it gets sucked back into a jet...

There are a lot of possibilities tho...

While you have the carb apart you might want to re-jet for better performance...

We have all the right stuff for that including SS SH replacement screws for the carb that will probably be worthless by the time you get them out...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It fires right back up. I will do fuel filter while I'm in there. As far as jetting I Oman to do that when I order my exhaust. Thanks guys I will let u know how it goes!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
If it fires right back up it can't be the fuel filter...

If the fuel filter was the problem the carb would be empty and it would take some cranking to refill it...if it requires no cranking to re-start then there has to be gas in the carb...

Either way even our most basic fuel line kit will make it easy to tell what's going on...including relocating your fuel filter for easier access...

·
Registered
352 Posts
Rutting-

You ALWAYS try to sell everyone your fuel kit or your windshield or your this or your that. just stop already!!!

Every single fuel related issue that comes up your only chime in and tell everyone how they have to spend 150 on your kit or theyre screwed.

Change your fuel filter and spark plug, rhinos are notorious for this. its $5.00 for both. Then you can go from there.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Maybe it didn't like being dirty,those rhino's are notorious for getting dirty.
Can somebody expain this?
Are you asking why debris and such inside the carb would cause it to malfunction...???

·
Registered
83 Posts
Do not install the Kehein after marker fuel pump. They suck. Last year I put one on and went to the dunes and went thru 4 of them until I put my stock one back on and it fixed it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It sounds like fuel filter to me too, driving stirs up trash in filter then finally will restrict fuel flow enough to stall. When it dies the debris will settle and allows proper fuel flow again and start up. Does it drive a while before doing it again or does it do it real quick.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts