Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im having rhino belt problems! have replaced 2 belts in less than 2 months, it all started when first belt shredded and i replaced with an aftermarket moose belt. i also serviced the clutch, replaced all rollers, and the 4 plastic pieces with steel inlays. greased with yamaha lube and put belt on in the correct direction. since then i have shredded 2 more belts??? any suggestions? what am i missing? i thought maybe i had left debris in the cover and got in belt? i am leaving the cover off this time and gonna put some miles on it? please help rhino gurus! belts are expensive and i hate having to be towed back!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
by the way, its a 2007 660 with about 2000 miles on it and the sheaves look to be in good shape, smooth no nicks???

·
Registered
647 Posts
Any chance you're running a CVT filter?

If so - there's your problem. Overheating is common if you have an oiled CVT filter... they clog quick and prevent airflow from cooling the system. Ditch it and your problem goes away.

Also - stick with a 700 belt - it's the same as a 660 but with kevlar. Aftermarket belts are known to suck arse.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
not exactly...

some people put air filters in the air intake behind the seat that provides cool air venting to your cvt...not to be confused with the air box or air intake for the motor itself...

Dave was just pointing out that if yours has one you should take it off...reduced air flow just adds heat...

Not sure why you are ripping up belts...

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I don't really...but I would run w/o cover on too...in fact I usually do...only problem with that IMO is water/mud...if you are staying dry it's better as far as I am concerned due to cooling...that is just my opinion tho...

The only other good idea from me is to order a kevlar belt off our website... :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i live real close to the hassayampa river bottom and this time of year its nice to go play in the water! but im going to go for a ride with the cover off and give it a try on some dry trails, not hard to find in az, thank you for your help, by the way how much are those way trick belts? i take some long weekend trips with the wife and i hate to be stuck in the middle of nowhere!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i also just read another thread that said the belt may be riding to high in the sheave? how high is to high and what do you do to fix it? it looks like my cover is rubbed a bit but whoo knows if thats from the carnage or it rubbing?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
150 + tax shipped... they are on our website...

Your primary sheave and roller weights are stock right...you are original owner...???

you should have no problems with rubbing...

At idle or stopped...the top of the belt ridges are even with top of secondary sheave right...

And when you rev the motor in neutral to the rev limiter the top of the belt is below the top of the primary sheave at full shift out right...

If so you are stock and rubbing cannot be the problem...

If belt sticks up past top of secondary sheave at stop you either have a machined sheave or a shim mod...that COULD cause rubbing on cover on bottom side just below secondary...

If belt rides up out of primary at full shift out and hits the aluminum cage then you have found the cause of your shreddage...

New word...just add it to your dictionary... :lol:

OH YEAH...JUST ONE MORE THING... when you say belt is on correct... arrows are pointing to rear of vehicle right... :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
all of what you just sent me was all good! and yes belt going to rear of rhino. i am just wondering if i didnt get all the old belt out of the sheaves???? i am headed out in about 5 minutes, i will post when i get back? if i dont get stranded! clutch cycles all good and i dont see any rubbing anywhere and by the way yes all is stock, i just trail ride and no need to haul ass, we just older couple!! haha well im old wife is young!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well, im back from my quick 20 mile ride, did anywhere from 30 to 40mph and went about 20 miles, got home and took belt off and all looks good???? im still concerned it isnt fixed??? i have small trace of grease on inside of belt against motor side??? all the way around, maybe from freshly greased clutch? but other than that looks great? going to put some more miles on it tomorrow? got a big ride saturday afternoon out to the belmont mountains in tonopah az, a large mining town once thrived in the belmonts and we are all going out too explore! any other ideas will be greatly appreciated and thx to all that replied and helped!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
must have been from working on primary....is any grease getting slung out of center of primary or shaft collar/bushing/bearing whatever you want to call it...

I am not saying what you have is the problem or anything...but I saw you mentioned it...it's not a good thing to have grease on the belt or face of the sheave...just sayn.... :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its strange cause its a very small amount on inside of belt and towards the engine side, looks like the clutch grease, and i can see where it could come out? can i clean the belt with anything and take it out again and see if it happens again? carb cleaner, soapy water?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Soapy water can't hurt...

I wouldn't use anything that could attack the rubber...

I have no clue how much grease is on there but I would try to clean it if you can see it on the sheave too...

Can't hurt imo...

You probably packed the sheave in grease and did a really fine job when you re-did right... :)

I recommend using only a spot of grease dabbed onto each roller and some on the cam plate sliders and leave the rest dry...and you don't need the little cover with all the screws in it....

1 - 20 of 24 Posts