Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 2007 Rhino 660. It has been working fine till this past weekend when I was tilling up some ground to put in food plots. It was running great then backfired and would not start again. Let it sit for 30 minutes then it started up and would stall after a few mins. I thought it was a sprk problem because I sprayed starting fluid in the carb and got nothing. I put in anew plug and it started right up. I also cut and rethreaded the pulg wire and changed the ignition coil. Now it idles and after afew mins cuts out and not restart for a few mins. Then it starts right up. It also appears the stalling coinsides with the fan coming on when it is sitting idle. It seems to be okay when it is moving as long as I dont run it too long. Any ideas? The mechanic toldme it may be the CDI. I know this may have been answered on here a thousand times, but Iam new on here and not quite sure if it is a fuel problem as I have read about in other postings. It seemed like I was getting no spark when I cranked it with the plug out and laying on the block. Any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would say its the fuel filter thats all clogged up. If u havent already put a new on in there and see how that works. Seems to me as the same problem as I have had in my 660s. It would run fine for alittle then back fire and then stall out. Let sit for 10 min starts right back up and happenes all over again. The fuel filter fixed that problem twice on my rhinos lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The filter was dirty so I took the tank out cleaned it replacedf the filter and sprayed the carb out. It ran much better but then the same problem. Stalled and wouldn't start for a few minutes. the carb is getting gas and the fuel system seems to have have the upgrades I read about on here. The Mikuni pump, larger clear fuel lines with insulation around them. After it stalls if I hold my hand over the carb and crank it is getting plenty of fuel, must be a spark problem......I have a new plug and coil on it to I know thats not thew problem. Any Ideas

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Okay I just read your post again...

It sounds like vapor locking/fuel starvation to me...

I put this kit on the market to help with that... Fuel Delivery Kit

It is extremely difficult to tell whats going on if you can see where and when fuel is or isn't at any point in time...

Is your fuel pump getting really hot by chance....???

·
Registered
11 Posts
I tried everything to stop mine from doing what you are saying. I found that the header pipe was coming loose from the head. I has to be tight or it will back fire and won't want to run. I fixed it and about a month later I had the same problem, it came loose again. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SOLVED ------

On my 2007 Rhino 660, Just an update, as nothing in this thread solved my issue. The exact symptoms I had were as follows:

Engine starts and runs great. Until it gets hot. As soon as the engine is hot it begins backfiring, then dies, and will only restart with the choke fully engaged, and only then after sitting for a minute. I am guessing this is due to it becoming overloaded with unspent fuel. If you let it sit for about a minute, it will start back up but is unable to run for more than a few seconds at full throttle before the engine dies again. This basically puts the Rhino in limp mode.

Things I tried to do to solve the issue:
1. Rebuilt carborator
2. Changed spark plug
3. New CDI box
4. Ran a half a tank of fuel with Sea Foam additive
5. New spark plug wire / coil
6. New air filter with foam air filter oil

None of this had any effect on the symptoms at all......

The Fix -------------------

On a hunch i got out my volt meter and tested both output voltage and continuity on the leads coming out of the engine from the stator both right after firing up while it was still cool, and again when it was hot. It was faulty when hot.I am guessing this was due to thermal expansion of one or more of the coils, or a thin insulator wire caused from wear and age.

So, after ordering a new stator, and spending about 5 hours taking her apart, installing new stator, and putting everything back together, I am happy to report that i just went trail riding for over an hour and not a single backfire. I was running her pretty hard at full throttle a lot fo the time.

Replacing the stator requires draining the oil and coolant, so those were replaced with Yamaha recommended fluids, plus a new K & N oil filter. I also replaced the stator housing gasket, and the water pump gasket while i had everything open. I used locktight on all threads on reassembly of all components and a super thin coat of RTV on both sides of both gaskets.

It now runs like its brand new.

·
Registered
4 Posts
SOLVED ------

On my 2007 Rhino 660, Just an update, as nothing in this thread solved my issue. The exact symptoms I had were as follows:

Engine starts and runs great. Until it gets hot. As soon as the engine is hot it begins backfiring, then dies, and will only restart with the choke fully engaged, and only then after sitting for a minute. I am guessing this is due to it becoming overloaded with unspent fuel. If you let it sit for about a minute, it will start back up but is unable to run for more than a few seconds at full throttle before the engine dies again. This basically puts the Rhino in limp mode.

Things I tried to do to solve the issue:
1. Rebuilt carborator
2. Changed spark plug
3. New CDI box
4. Ran a half a tank of fuel with Sea Foam additive
5. New spark plug wire / coil
6. New air filter with foam air filter oil

None of this had any effect on the symptoms at all......

The Fix -------------------

On a hunch i got out my volt meter and tested both output voltage and continuity on the leads coming out of the engine from the stator both right after firing up while it was still cool, and again when it was hot. It was faulty when hot.I am guessing this was due to thermal expansion of one or more of the coils, or a thin insulator wire caused from wear and age.

So, after ordering a new stator, and spending about 5 hours taking her apart, installing new stator, and putting everything back together, I am happy to report that i just went trail riding for over an hour and not a single backfire. I was running her pretty hard at full throttle a lot fo the time.

Replacing the stator requires draining the oil and coolant, so those were replaced with Yamaha recommended fluids, plus a new K & N oil filter. I also replaced the stator housing gasket, and the water pump gasket while i had everything open. I used locktight on all threads on reassembly of all components and a super thin coat of RTV on both sides of both gaskets.

It now runs like its brand new.
My 06 660 did the exact same thing as you described. I had my valves adjusted & it has never done it again

1 - 10 of 10 Posts