Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Looks great, you did an awesome job. Have they gotten back to you about the connectors and if they are going to remedy the problem. Also I don't know if it was an option for you, but a lot of the time you can go with a complete Stator rewind.
No haven't heard from them but from what I got from talking to them they stay pretty busy. I asked about rewinding my old one and Andee ,the salesperson, said it really wouldn't be any less money. They can sell a new one for the same price. It would be nice to find somewhere that does it for less then a hundred bucks....then it would be worth it.
So far it's been working great. I have put over 200 miles on it since I fixed it and going strong. I have noticed that the spotlight really does draw the voltage down but it recovers.
I am still looking at some other options for the spotlight.
I need it when I am out chasing beavers at night. The Rhino has sure made that fun job a lot better then the old days of ATV's. I still have my ATV's but the Rhino gets far more use........it is just more comfortable and fun to this old man....

·
Registered
334 Posts
Looks great, you did an awesome job. Have they gotten back to you about the connectors and if they are going to remedy the problem. Also I don't know if it was an option for you, but a lot of the time you can go with a complete Stator rewind.
No haven't heard from them but from what I got from talking to them they stay pretty busy. I asked about rewinding my old one and Andee ,the salesperson, said it really wouldn't be any less money. They can sell a new one for the same price. It would be nice to find somewhere that does it for less then a hundred bucks....then it would be worth it.
So far it's been working great. I have put over 200 miles on it since I fixed it and going strong. I have noticed that the spotlight really does draw the voltage down but it recovers.
I need it when I am out chasing beavers at night. The Rhino has sure made that fun job a lot better then the old days of ATV's. I still have my ATV's but the Rhino gets far more use........it is just more comfortable and fun to this old man....
Haha yea definitely a lot more comfortable than a quad that's for sure. Well the company you worked with seems to have done a good job, we do Stator rewind here, but only for bikes. As far as the spot still draining that much power, how big is the light? Is it hid? and do you know the output? Thanks we should be able to find a solution for that.:fingersx:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Haha yea definitely a lot more comfortable than a quad that's for sure. Well the company you worked with seems to have done a good job, we do Stator rewind here, but only for bikes. As far as the spot still draining that much power, how big is the light? Is it hid? and do you know the output? Thanks we should be able to find a solution for that.:fingersx:
I have been using a 3 million candlepower spotlight. I think I am going to see if I can find a 1 million again. They are hard to find as everyone wants the big super lights. I only use it at certain spots that I have bushhogged close to big areas on certain beaver ponds to just check for activity. But it is just a big old ******* spotlight......usually used for no good down south but the Game Wardens got me a night permit to hunt beavers when they are active. My timber companies love it that I take as many as I do. Last year took a little over 60 and this year I am up to 29. I got one earlier at dark. Honestly it's addictive for this southern boy......I love running around at night chasing them.......

·
Registered
334 Posts
I have been using a 3 million candlepower spotlight. I think I am going to see if I can find a 1 million again. They are hard to find as everyone wants the big super lights. I only use it at certain spots that I have bushhogged close to big areas on certain beaver ponds to just check for activity. But it is just a big old ******* spotlight......usually used for no good down south but the Game Wardens got me a night permit to hunt beavers when they are active. My timber companies love it that I take as many as I do. Last year took a little over 60 and this year I am up to 29. I got one earlier at dark. Honestly it's addictive for this southern boy......I love running around at night chasing them.......

Awesome! Sounds like a blast. Well for what you are doing that spot is probably perfect, if you ever want to get anything that will blind the beavers just PM me:approve: Just playing, but if you have anymore questions about lighting feel free to let me know.

·
Registered
184 Posts
just put a stator in my 700 from rm stator ($160) and it runs bad after half throttle. i know its the stator because i put my old one back in and it runs fine just wont charge. i spoke with nate from alba and he called msd for me and they said that msd does not like to work with aftermarket stators. i wish i would have just spent the extra $60 and got a oem. waste of money go oem

·
Registered
56 Posts
thats funny because i have an rm stator in mie as i have posted before. In addition i also have an msd cdi box and y rhino run's fine at all rpm ranges, im also running nitrous at times too when i need that little more oomph.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
just put a stator in my 700 from rm stator ($160) and it runs bad after half throttle. i know its the stator because i put my old one back in and it runs fine just wont charge. i spoke with nate from alba and he called msd for me and they said that msd does not like to work with aftermarket stators. i wish i would have just spent the extra $60 and got a oem. waste of money go oem
It's not the Stator that is your problem it's the Crankshaft Position Sensor. A Stator just makes power that goes to the RR then to the battery. The ECU is reading information from the crankshaft position sensor and that could cause it to run bad. Maybe you got a bad one.
But think of it this way.....does your alternator on your car make it perform bad?......
They just change the CPS with the stator because the wire bundle all comes through the same rubber grommet...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Just a little update. I had real issues with the heat being generated by the Stator wires. I wouldn't ride it fearing a melt down or damage to other parts.
I replaced the Stator with an OEM of which looks a lot better then the original one that came off.
It comes ready to install with plugs and all.
Now it's running great with just a little warmth on the wiring coming from the Stator out of the engine case.
Voltage is correct and it keeps up with demand.
So I determined that the wiring is supposed to get warm but not HOT!!!!!
There........

·
Registered
8 Posts
My original stator on my 2009 Rhino 700 went out at 3600 miles. I bought my Rhino new, so it doesn't owe me anything after 12 wonderful years. Wellers in Kamas, Utah charged me $400 for the OEM part and $275 for labor. Only took a few days. They also changed the oil and flushed the (original LOL) coolant. Ben and Adam are always really cool and honest with me. Just sharing a recent experience if it helps anyone decide between DIY or paying a professional.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts