Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my stator go out at exactly 1000 miles on a 2009 Rhino 700. I checked with the dealer for a OEM stator and was floored at the $320 bucks they wanted for one. They claimed they hadn't changed any and that was from several dealers.
I call BS.......but anyway I checked around and found RMStators had them at half the price. I ordered one and have to say those Canadians are great to deal with.
Got it installed and it's working great. Only issue was the connectors on the stator were smaller then the male OEM connectors in the plug. I had to modify a little and it worked out great.
Just thought I would let everyone know that there is an alternative to the yamaha high priced one.......here are some pics....

Fried one......

New one...

I was just wondering how many 700 riders have had the stators go out on them.......

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not yet on my 700 in 1,200 miles, any extra light or excesive elect. loads on it? just wondering..

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm not one to bad mouth a company often but in this case ill make an exception rm stator / Ricky stator has a bad rep for DOA stators and poor quality as well as a rep for supplying stators that don't fit right or require modification to bolt up. You can do a search for rmstator and find plenty of problems with their products.

I would recommend always going back oem even if you have to buy a used one out of a busted motor. I have had great success finding used ones from forum members or eBay for various bikes.

Stay far far away from rm stator / Ricky stator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
soarkrebel,

Torched!

Good job by the way.

Question: When you modified the new harness did you use the OEM recepticle off your old stator and just repin?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
soarkrebel,

Torched!

Good job by the way.

Question: When you modified the new harness did you use the OEM recepticle off your old stator and just repin?
I was sitting in the dentist office waiting room when I responded to the other and then they called me back for some pain.....:aargh4:
The male pins on the main harness I narrowed to fit. Then just changed the pins out in the connectors.
I am going to check around at work and see if I can find these pins around there just for future needs.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm not one to bad mouth a company often but in this case ill make an exception rm stator / Ricky stator has a bad rep for DOA stators and poor quality as well as a rep for supplying stators that don't fit right or require modification to bolt up. You can do a search for rmstator and find plenty of problems with their products.

I would recommend always going back oem even if you have to buy a used one out of a busted motor. I have had great success finding used ones from forum members or eBay for various bikes.

Stay far far away from rm stator / Ricky stator

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have worked in the aviation maintenance business for almost 30 years as an A&P Mechanic. I have seen good companies every once in while put out a bad product as long as they fix that problem for the customer and make good then why bash them.
We deal with thousands of parts a year and see lots of mistakes and take into account these aren't ground vehicles they are aircraft that fly above 40,000 feet .
RMStators sell new parts not overhauled or rebuilt. I asked about this before I bought but in all honesty the overhauled parts are usually more reliable in aviation.
I am sure they have sent out stuff that was questionable but the one I got is working well so far.
Like I said only one issue with the connectors. I emailed them about it yesterday to make them aware of it.
But if it goes out in a year I will sure be hammering the warranty on it if over a year I will seek other options.
What gets me is the OEM lasted 1000 miles with really no real demand placed on it. I will spend the $179 to my door and see if it's better then go back OEM right now.....and then I will take up WV Hot Rod Rhino's deal......:fingersx:

·
Registered
109 Posts
I noticed ur snap ons, I thought you may be more than a shadetree mechanic and wouldn't be afraid to tackle anything on the rhino, may not fly as high...well, maybe with the JBS sheave she might...lol
FYI- if you have to tear her down again think about an H.O. stator there not that much more and you can run a few more accessories.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I noticed ur snap ons, I thought you may be more than a shadetree mechanic and wouldn't be afraid to tackle anything on the rhino, may not fly as high...well, maybe with the JBS sheave she might...lol
FYI- if you have to tear her down again think about an H.O. stator there not that much more and you can run a few more accessories.
Glad I didn't have my craftsman out....ha .....as long as I some data I will go after anything. Even modifying I like data to know where to start from. Not saying I don't cowboy sometime and ride off into the unknown but I like a map. Probably years in aviation that has caused this....we do nothing without data. I do think next year one of Hot Rods sheaves may be in order if the economy doesn't tank...

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have never seen an H.O. Stator for a 700. They changed the charging systems in the 700's to add more watts so I wonder if it is needed. I would though like to have the alternator system but can't see where anyone is making them and I don't want to take the time to make the brackets and all the other that goes with it.
I think a dual battery setup is in my future with that smart isolator from Black Rhino. Change the 12v outlet over to that one so it's not a drain on the main system. I think the other battery would stay charged fine from daytime riding but then again the Rhino has a lot of electrical draw when you figure the all the operating electrical and fan. I can watch the batt voltage drop when the fan kicks on and like the other night I had the light on and the fan kicked on and it really dropped to like 13.0 but recovered quick.
I think thats the key how fast does it recover. The stator is putting out enough how fast will the regulator read it and react.
And the other thing I don't have that I NEED real bad is a winch.......(carry a come along right now) it will draw bad too....another reason to get a dual battery before the winch or at the same time.
Got stuck the other day.....which doesn't happen much....in some slop around a beaver pond and got high centered on a stump. A winch would have been nice but the way to get out was to pull the rhino sideways off the stump.....diff lock and she never missed a beat.
I try not to beat it up to bad but the Rhino will flat go in some nasty stuff with bigger tires ,stiffen the shocks all the way and diff lock....only reason I got stuck was the dang stump.......

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have never seen an H.O. Stator for a 700. They changed the charging systems in the 700's to add more watts so I wonder if it is needed. I would though like to have the alternator system but can't see where anyone is making them and I don't want to take the time to make the brackets and all the other that goes with it.
I think a dual battery setup is in my future with that smart isolator from Black Rhino. Change the 12v outlet over to that one so it's not a drain on the main system. I think the other battery would stay charged fine from daytime riding but then again the Rhino has a lot of electrical draw when you figure the all the operating electrical and fan. I can watch the batt voltage drop when the fan kicks on and like the other night I had the light on and the fan kicked on and it really dropped to like 13.0 but recovered quick.
I think thats the key how fast does it recover. The stator is putting out enough how fast will the regulator read it and react.
And the other thing I don't have that I NEED real bad is a winch.......(carry a come along right now) it will draw bad too....another reason to get a dual battery before the winch or at the same time.
Got stuck the other day.....which doesn't happen much....in some slop around a beaver pond and got high centered on a stump. A winch would have been nice but the way to get out was to pull the rhino sideways off the stump.....diff lock and she never missed a beat.
I try not to beat it up to bad but the Rhino will flat go in some nasty stuff with bigger tires ,stiffen the shocks all the way and diff lock....only reason I got stuck was the dang stump.......
The dual battery w/isolater is a nice setup. Could you fit a spare battery under the driver seat?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The dual battery w/isolater is a nice setup. Could you fit a spare battery under the driver seat?
Yeah I don't have anything under there right now but I think I will get the sheet metal guys at work make me a bracket for the drivers side under the hood.
I was thinking about getting one of those MTM casegard boxes that fit under the seat to carry some other stuff.... I think these are the ones that fit perfect...
SPUD2 in Forest Green

·
Registered
109 Posts
Nice o-ringed box. Sounds like you have her figured out.

Send photos of your battery box build, folks here would appreciate it.

Have a good one!

·
Registered
144 Posts
my stator did the same thing at 1300 miles. my dealer told me it's kinda common on the atv's. this is doing better so far, 2200 miles. hope it lasts longer yet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Did you put OEM or aftermarket on when yours burn't out? I find it strange that I have a 2000 Honda ForemanS that has about 10,000 miles on it and never had a problem with the electrical system.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went with a rm stator also. Since oem was back ordered for 2months and they had them in stock I just cut the oem ends off and soldered and heat shrinked them

·
Registered
334 Posts
Looks great, you did an awesome job. Have they gotten back to you about the connectors and if they are going to remedy the problem. Also I don't know if it was an option for you, but a lot of the time you can go with a complete Stator rewind.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts