Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, I have a rhino 700 I'm working on for somebody and I've come to a dead end on where to go next.
Its not starting - I have checked resistance of primary/secondary coils and have a nice blue spark. I've checked fuel pump pressure is correct and injector is spraying nicely. It has compression and airflow but just turning over with no fire. All the wiring seems to be as it should and is not throwing up any fault codes, im wondering if anybody has had this issue or might know a possible cause, thanks in advance, Ben

·
Registered
2005 Yamaha Rhino Hunter Ed.
20 Posts
If what you say is correct the only thing I can think of is timing must be off. I would check the timing mark and the top dead center to verify. If you have all the things you listed it should fire. It could have jumped time

·
Registered
20 Posts
It could be jumped time or dropped a valve( keeper come loose) have seen both. a broken rocker, I have never heard of without some other cause. But ...anything is possible. Most likely the timing chain tensioner was worn and let the chain jump, would be my guess.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did see two different names but thought it may have been same people. Doesn't really matter anyways just wondered. let us know how its going though. I am wondering if my thoughts were correct. I really need to set my valve lash and will see if the chain is loose at that time on mine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the ideas guys, I went back out to the guys house with the intention of checking the timing because I thought maybe the keyway had sheared itself between crank and flywheel or the chain had slacked but he said he had checked the timing and it was good.

So I went on to do more electrical diagnosing and found that between the battery and the dash on the machine there is a 0.3v drop.. the battery was reading 11.9v and dash was reading 11.6v, so I connected a fully charged jump pack at 13v and the dash went up to 12.3v same voltage at orange power wire to ecu (there is also a sprayer unit and radio wired to the battery), but I have seen online that the main power relays can corrode causing resistance therefor creating a voltage drop, but in this case all the relays look fine at the pins but when the key is on the main power relays get quite warm, I'm wondering if this is normal and whether there could still be corrosion on the inside of the relay and also if the ecus have a specific amount of volts needed to fire up the machine as even with a fully charged jump pack connected the ecu isn't seeing 12.5 - 13v

Thanks in advance
Ben

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do you have access to a pile battery tester? It will load the battery and show if volts drop under a load. and if all else fails try disconnecting the radio and sprayer, most have inline fuses and very easy to test. I would not think it would be those though. How much are new relays? or is there a buddy that you could swap them to try. It is a puzzle. Early in this it was stated there was great fire from the plug so I would still lean toward timing from all that has been stated. but it was checked so not sure.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have a battery tester, he said the battery is near new but I will remove it and test it at the same time I hook up my jump pack with no accessories connected, I managed to find some relays for about $15 so ill pop those in too and see if either of these eliminates the voltage drop. I'm still leaning towards the idea of the timing being out even though I was advised it's fine (not entirely sure of his mechanical knowledge) so if the above doesn't get it up and running this will be my next check, I'm planning on heading out there in a couple of days, will update you guys after with how I get on!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All u have to Do is take roll cage off , pull seats , remove the pick up bed .Then u can see the head .Start removing the top head .I bet he did that
I'm not actually certain how he's done it but if you have to remove the cage and the rear tray to gain access to removing the valve cover I highly doubt its been checked correctly. Thanks for the info

1 - 15 of 15 Posts