Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
What I did. Upgraded front axles. Id love to see where I could go with a rhino, but I dont think as far as my grizz. This was from my last ride. First guy in our group thought it would be maybe 12" deep like some of the other holes, and drove his 650XT Max in there, and nearly sunk it. If we didnt jump off and run in to help him keep it a float, and push that school bus out, it coulda got ugly. Others went around, I went right in. Video starts about 10s after I went in (they knew I was going in)

*warning* i drop and f-bomb in this video

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
No IMO you cannot go as far in a SxS as on an ATV cause you can use your body weight to move the quad from side to side and push it along where you cannot in a Rhino....but you can haul lots of beer in a Rhino, and sit in a seat, hold a steering wheel and be comfortable.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Well You might be able to go as far, but you gotta go around stuff, and take different lines. Which, me I like to go up the gut

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
No...you cant go as far..theres no question, I have both Rhino and Lifted Grizz both with 31/32" tires...and the Grizz whips it cause I can use my bodyweight to manipulate things...but it also gives me monkey butt, and a dry mouth after a day of riding due to the saddle and no cupholder...lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
I hear that, I just stop for beer at almost every mud hole. Cause if some of the schoolbus' I ride with go into a hole, they get high centred for sure (i ride with 3 popo 500x2s, and a 650xt max). Or if some of the lesser equipted bikes go in, they are stuck (i ride with a few bikes with stock rubber, a 500 scrambler with stock size mud lites, and a 500 renegade, with outlander stock 26" tires....but its snorkeled lol)

But with that said, that hole above in the video, other bikes went around, or on the edge etc, so I coulda got through on a rhino no prob, just not on the fun line.

With that said, I really want a 4" trail lift for a rhino to be made (hell they have them for the rzr), and a true 4" for my grizz, but alas no market for trail lifts it seems. Which sucks cause they have 4" lifts for the outlanders. But I want lifts I dont need to hit mud holes or water holes to keep the boots from melting, and I want to to be trail friendly, and not 3' wider then stock. Ug I ask too much. If I was down i the US, near CATVOS, or something similar, id drop macines off to get work done. But up here in canada, im SOL

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
You need to do the same thing I did with my Rhino...I have a 3" over mid travel setup on it with coilover shocks that I can turn up to create lift needed for trails and to clear the large tires...and it still rides good and functions as an offroad vehicle...it articulates very well...unlike the "lift" kits that are available.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Even if I got a 3" mid travel without shocks, used stock shocks (sport ones id hope), with a custom lift kit. Just jack it up, find the max angle for the axles (if gorrillas they say 37-40 degrees), stretch the shock out, and set the height based on that, so you dont have too much drop out and snap axles.

I have always wanted 4" lifts, so I can run smaller tires (say 28s), and still have the GC that the guys with 2" lifts and 30-32s have. Without all the strain on the drive train, and loss of trail ability (32s wont trail well)

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I would recommend good aftermarket shocks like a FOX or KING coilover but thats my personal opinion....I dont run the lift brackets I manipulate my ride height via the spring preload...I can set it down for fast riding on my 25" tires and crank it up for mud riding on my 31s

Heres a couple pics showing both heights.

Down with smaller tires on it for faster riding.

Lifted up using the preload for my taller tires....suspension still functions well..and has good articulation.

·
Registered
247 Posts
What kit are you running, and how wide are you at each height? Also are you running 31 skinnies?

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I dunno exactly how wide....I do more riding than I do measuring....its a one off mid travel kit 3" wider per side using 6" stroke shocks.

Those are 31x11s as the skinnies have a very tight tread pattern, but I am running them on 14x6 wheels making them a bit more narrow.

·
Registered
222 Posts
with 27" swamplites on my stock 700 rhino on 14" rims i broke 2 front diffs i rear diff 3 rear axles. in under 1000 miles and barely had enough power to get through stuff, barely turn them i sold them and currently running stockers with the bed deleted. 30's to me are a waste of time.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
with 27" swamplites on my stock 700 rhino on 14" rims i broke 2 front diffs i rear diff 3 rear axles. in under 1000 miles and barely had enough power to get through stuff, barely turn them i sold them and currently running stockers with the bed deleted. 30's to me are a waste of time.
WOW that sucks....as said we rride with large tires a lot...heres my brothers Rhino from Saturday thats a STOCK 700 OD sliding weights are the ONLY mod done to it..and it has a heavier cage extension on it...the tires are 28" Outlaws....so a bit heavier and more agressive than most tires...hes not having an issue here

·
Registered
345 Posts
Turning the 30s good here too maybe you have a lemon ? Thick Texas Mud too.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i personally say the bed delete is awesome, i made a little homemade flat deck so i can still pack my cooler, but no tire coverage at all ,if i need my box it is only pull the 2 pins at the rear, and my deck uses the stock mounting locations. i run my stock(bagged) rear shocks on the softest setting now before i was on the heaviest setting and still bottoming out on every other bump. i like the looser back end, not to bad, jumps well, made a big difference in power, climbs i had to be in 4 low i can power up in high range 2wd.i run teryx front shocks for now til i can afford something better. the stock fronts were blown out.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts