Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wish I could get a straight answer on that question as well. I have a 660 with power mods and can spin my 27" XTRs in anything.

I have a guy that will trade me straight up his 30" Mudlites for my 27" XTRs, but I'm scared they won't fit or I won't like the power loss.

·
Registered
65 Posts
30" mudlites

I guess it would depend on where and how you ride. I run 27" mudlites because everyone has told me over 28s and I would have problems. I have a friend with 28s on his rhino and it is fine, but I have to friends with grizzlys one with 29.5s and one with 28s. They both are running outlaws and are always snapping axels or driveshafts. My one buddy with 28s on his grizz has snapped one drive shaft and three gorilla axels. My point is I have had a few people as well as my local shop tell me that if you go bigger than 28s you can run into bigger problems down the line. Hope this helps. :fingersx:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I ran 29.5" Outlaws on my Grizz 700 for over a year with zero problems.
Also ran 28" EDLs on my King Quad 700 for a year or so...again...zero problems.

Maybe I just ride like a puss.
But we're talking about 30" Mudlites...not Outlaws. BIG difference in weight and the lugs.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I know theres a guy on here sTa thats local to me running 30" zillas on his 09 with no lift.

I have 30" xxl mudlites on my grizzly, but it has a 7" gorilla lift...they sure as **** dont look like they will fit on the rhino..lol

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
its kind of a loaded question.. it depends on what your doing, and how much abuse it will see. So there is no legit answer.

the taller tires will put more strain on your axles, spindles, brakes, clutch, engine etc.. sure.. they probably won't break on the 1st run.. how long will they last?? depends on how hard you are on your vehicle..some people might last forever, others they would last a couple weekends before they start breaking stuff.

Just like in the jeep world.. some guys say you need a dana 60 axle to run 35's, others run 37's on stock dana 30's... just depends.

The axles and cv joints are for sure the weak link, and i would think they are going to fail 1st. And you are putting more strain on your components... which i think you already realize, or wouldn't be asking. But there is no magic size that is too big.. I personally wouldn't run anything larger than a 26, but i don't run in the mud, and i want to go as fast as i can.. so running a larger tire for different things is great.. but there are trade offs..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Will 30s even fit on a stock rhino? I know the 26s on our 450 were ok, but any bigger seemed like i would have rubbing problems, but with the 2" lift now, i think that is cleared!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Heres 30 inch zillas with just the shocks cranked up. I had to take them off due to them eating the floorboards. I cant tell you that i can turn them in thick mud because i never made much farther than driving around the pasture. Until i get a lift i am no help. Back to rollin the 27s. I have a broke an axle with them so i am sure if i am heavy on the 30s yes it will break.

·
Registered
247 Posts
My boss has a 660 with 30" mud lites. But he has a 2" bracket lift, 6" body lift (so he says, but never looked at it, nor found any info on it), gorillas all the way around, CDI, Mudbuster cam, 686 bbk, exhaust, clutch kit. he turns them no problem, and has no issues. But thats a lot more machine then just a 660.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have 27" XTRs on my Outlander.....and they are one heavy tire!!

But on a serious note.....I dont think a rhino has the nuts to pull those pig tires on thick mud. Hell, I has 26" XTRs on my 660 rhino and it was clutched and modded and it didnt spini them like my outlander does!

I am not saying it wont move.....just saying it wont have the spinning power I would want, but to each his own.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I can tell you that from just having 27" mud lite xtrs from 06 till a month ago that without a lift you will hit your floor board when turning, or if you get them to bottom out in the front. You will also eat into your rear fenders. I know this because i had my plastics painted at the same time, and first ride out they hit the rear fenders and popped the paint and chewed up the plastic. So without question 30" will contact the floorboard and the rear fenders. I trimmed up my rear fenders to repair the damage, but without a lift in the front i don't see how you could run them without damage.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
I have 27" XTRs on my Outlander.....and they are one heavy tire!!

But on a serious note.....I dont think a rhino has the nuts to pull those pig tires on thick mud. Hell, I has 26" XTRs on my 660 rhino and it was clutched and modded and it didnt spini them like my outlander does!

I am not saying it wont move.....just saying it wont have the spinning power I would want, but to each his own.
Clutching makes a HUGE difference...and I dont mean a duner kit.....Mine does...well even with the 31s on it.

They are not 25's but I can/could turn them over in mud that was over the tire

·
Registered
13 Posts
In Georgia we have a problem running hot. Even the differences in mud make a difference. Low end power loss, brakes and belt wear are some of the cost of having large tires. Its a money pit anyway. Added to everything like breaking axles. The harder you play the more you will learn to fix.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Ok i have spent some time on the 30 inch zillas and i feel they are a great choice for the rhino if you are a mudder. I have broke one axle with the 30s and i will say it was my fault "damn budlight". I have had the 30s in peanut butter mud and was still turning them pretty good. I dont cut my rhino no slack either.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nice pics. Im trying to get a vid of my grizz in some nasty water/skeg. But the guy who took it isnt around much.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I run 28 zilla's and there awsome.they don't rub anywhere and I drive the **** out of the bike.it's a 700 stock and runs strong in the mud. If the bike looks in good shape and the price is right pick it up.when parts break, upgrade!!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts