Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rhino 660 timing chain tensioner failed

Ok, so I just started up my rhino and went to move it and it made a sound and died. I tore the valve cover off and noticed that the cam gear moved freely. So I took the gear and looked down the channel and seen the chain was off the gear. Now I know I have to pull the head off to look at the piston and check the valves, but here is my question.

Is there anyway to set the timing without taking off the side and looking at the marks? I would like to just get it to TDC and line the cam up.

Is there marks on the fan?

Thoughts? Pictures? help!!

Thanks

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

take that stupid fan thing off the motor and throw it all in the trash,then u can access the plug very easily anytime and save some hassle....you have to remove the valve cover and reset it all, you might get lucky and didn't hit the valves...do a leak down....strange it popped off, my engine wouldn't time out right due a stretch cam chain,so maybe its just time to replace it,they are only like twenty bucks...good luck,cameron.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Ok, so I just started up my rhino and went to move it and it made a sound and died. I tore the valve cover off and noticed that the cam gear moved freely. So I took the gear and looked down the channel and seen the chain was off the gear. Now I know I have to pull the head off to look at the piston and check the valves, but here is my question.

Is there anyway to set the timing without taking off the side and looking at the marks? I would like to just get it to TDC and line the cam up.

Is there marks on the fan?

Thoughts? Pictures? help!!

Thanks
KMS Performance offers a dial indicator that screws in the spark plug hole to get TDC exact. It works awesome! Install a 700 tensioner, it is a ratchet style instead of the 660 screw style that fails.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts