Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Friends,

Recently purchased a 2004 660 Rhino in brand new condition with 285 mi and very low hours.Seller stated these machines are 'HOT' starters and
that they need alot of full choking when cold.

Is this true and is there any way to avoid 6-7 seven start-ups when cold
with full choke to get this baby to run?? Appreciate any/all related info
experiences and if known ways to overcome this.

Thanks Newbee owner /Regards Peter Union WV

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Greetings Friends,

Recently purchased a 2004 660 Rhino in brand new condition with 285 mi and very low hours.Seller stated these machines are 'HOT' starters and
that they need alot of full choking when cold.

Is this true and is there any way to avoid 6-7 seven start-ups when cold
with full choke to get this baby to run?? Appreciate any/all related info
experiences and if known ways to overcome this.

Thanks Newbee owner /Regards Peter Union WV
A 45 pilot jet will help it start easier, idle smoother, get off choke sooner (not due to the motor warming up faster...due to richer idle and low speed circuit)...and give you more power when you floor it from a stop...

The pilot jet won't fix a sticky float or weak fuel pump/ poor fuel delivery...both of which can cause it to die at idle...

If you are going to keep the intake/exhaust stock our small jet kit that comes with the pilot jet, replacement carb screws, and a selection of main jets to allow you to tune for weather and elevation would be a good thing to do...

Our basic fuel line kits for the stock pump allow you to allows know if you are getting good fuel delivery or not and will also allow you to check the fuel level inside your float...

A stronger fuel pump will increase fuel pressure at idle enough to help with a sticky float... we sell those as well...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Greetings Rutting Rhino,

Many thanks for the wealth of info...will need some time to digest all
but your knowledge and insight is very very much appreciated.
Talk 2 u soon/Regards Peter Union WV

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
You are most welcome...and welcome to the forum...

Not sure how far you are from Mt Hope but if you are in that area you should check out WV Hot Rod Rhino...!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Rutting Rhino,

Union is in the southeastern most part of southern WV (bordering VA).
But thanks again for this info and will eventually call upon the Mt Hope folks.
Regards Peter

·
Registered
395 Posts
hey craig...how much is the basic carb kit?....and the fuel line kit?...and how much for a stonger fuel pump?....I have a List of "wants" and pic up as i come across $...thanks

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Ralph...

The most bang for the buck is the high volume pump with fuel lines for $80 plus $10 s&h for $89.99...you use your own fuel filter and you can add your own bulb primer if you like...we don't make money on the bulb primers or the fuel filters and you can save a buck or two by providing your own...or we can include them in the kits...we don't sell bulbs or filters separately for that reason...

A small jet kit is $25... includes the screws, pilot jet, and any three main jets you want...

The fuel line kit for the stock pump is $32.50 shipped...

The high volume pump and stock pump are different and require different fuel lines...so if you are going to the high volume pump later and you know it don't buy a stock pump fuel line kit...

Some people think the stock pump is poor quality or doesn't pump enough fuel...

Neither of those is true...and the number one cause of stock pump failure is overheating due to lack of air flow and/or too close to a hot motor...

A good condition (and not overheated) stock pump has the same basic internal components as the high volume pump...they are just not designed to flow 5 times the volume of fuel a 660 based motor can consume...they will flow way more fuel than any 660 based motor can consume under good conditions with efficient plumbing...

Our fuel line kits for the stock pump do help it perform better and are EXTREMELY valuable to have whenever any run-ability problems occur as they allow you to quickly verify both fuel delivery and fuel level inside the float... but won't cure vapor locking due to a hot fuel pump...or an old worn-out fuel pump...

The high volume pump IS a better replacement for several reasons...the cost is about the same or less...and when properly installed/plumbed will flow a lot more fuel under the same heat stress as the stock pump...so while heat will affect the high volume pump...double the fuel flow under marginal conditions will in most cases make the difference between being vapor locked and stalling out or NOT...

We actually have a relocation kit for the high volume fuel pump that moves the pump away from the heat...the system will hold prime a lot longer...and it makes it much easier to install and use a bulb primer...this kit allows you keep your stock pump where it is for a back up too...

In order to make that package function as it should it does require a lot more stuff and so the price is quite high at $185 shipped but has everything including the in-tank fuel filter and bulb primer behind the passenger seat...

Even tho it holds prime way better than any other system the bulb primer is STILL extremely handy to have on board...

It will completely prime an empty system with 3 squeezes of the bulb...completely eliminating the need for excessive cranking due to lack of fuel in the carb...the bulb primer makes a great back up pump too...it will get you home if you do have a pump failure...and will allow you to siphon gas from or pump gas to another vehicle if needed...they are great to have period...regardless of which fuel pump you have or where it's mounted...

The relocation kits are not on the website yet but I have sold quite a few of them and can sell them to anyone who wants one at this time...

This is all our fuel kits for the 660 except for the relocation kit...we also stock rebuild kits for the high volume pumps...

Fuel Delivery

Thanks for looking...

·
Registered
171 Posts
I bought the jet kit from rutting rhino I have the 45 pilot jet and 167.5 main in at the moment it started right up this morning with half choke and it was 36 here.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello Scott,

Many thnaks for sharing your experience using/installing the jet kit (45 pilot jet).
Will be making the same purchase from Rutting Rhniowithout delay .Any special
knowledge for installation.Please let me know your experience.
Thank you and your info and time much appreciated.
Regards Peter Union WV

·
Registered
171 Posts
I am new to these and I followed craigs advice on what jets to use his method for tuning the carb works well. His customer support after the sale is great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rhino 04 cold start up

Hello Scotty,

Mnay thanks your info and experiences.Will refer back to Craig (Rutting Rhino) for purchase and install guidance and related info.Thanks again
Regards Peter Union WV

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 2004 660 runs like crap when it is to hot, Just shuts off and will not run until it sits for about 15 minutes!
I am really getting tired of walking back!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts