Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought an old 660. It has always been a little slow going into reverse. As in you put it in reverse and rev it and you hear it chattering a bit then it will finally go into gear with a jolt. Today driving it around I started it and it wouldn't move forward. just a grinding noise. I put it in 4wd and it moved enough so I could park it. Any input on this is much appreciated because we need this to do maintenance on our property. Thanks guys!

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
I'm no mechanic but looks like the boss has come out of the rear diff. I/m sure someone in the know will chime in.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Hard to see the photo. But it may also be the rear diff mount has broken

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I took it apart and the frame piece that supported the rear diff had cracked off. I had it welded up and I attempted to reinstall every thing because it all looked good. fresh grease and new gear oil. It is still not working well as I think I reinstalled everything wrong. It runs great minus the fact that I am yet to blead the breaks but the (I believe its called) mid shaft that goes from the motor to the diff keeps falling out. I cant figure out what I did wrong but I can only drive it for a moment before the shaft falls out on the motor side. any info will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts

Did u put this spring back in?

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you allowed to cuss in this forum? Must not have seen it come out when I initially took it apart. Is there anything else I should know before I take it apart again as far as that shaft goes? Im about to order it is there anything I should order with it? Thanks.

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
Yep, shuckie darn and dadgumit are about it...LOL

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
It happens

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
Goes in front end of shaft between shaft and eng boss

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Brian. I tried to get the shaft out the quick way by just taking the diff bolts out but I couldn't get it to fit. When the spring comes in I will just take the whole assembly out again. I like the vids but they don't show the intricacies and assume novice folks like me know them hence my current predicament.

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
Hey man at least ur doing the work yourself and not paying a dealer, its the best way to learn your machine for future piece of mind riding

·
Premium Member
3,142 Posts
You bet, youtube and google are my best resources

·
Banned
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright so this problem wasn't as cut and dry as I wanted it to be. So I replaced the damn spring and rubber damper on each end of the drive shaft and reinstalled everything. The shaft looked good but the bike was still bucking and grinding. I took everything back apart and decided to go inside the diff and check out the boss. To my amazement, the nut that everyone keeps stating to tighten to get rid of leaks was snapped clean off along with about a half inch of the threading from a bolt. https://imgur.com/gallery/4LcOKri . All of the gears seemed to be in working order just the bolt is snapped. Anyone know what my options are here?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 36 Posts