Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

After ripping apart my Rhino engine tonight I discovered my problem, damn middle drive gear support broke!! Does anyone on here have or know where I can get a new case? Can you buy only the defective side or do you need to buy both halves as a pair?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

sold as a pair,think they are around 700 for the set...I weld up my middle gear support boses to the case bottoms and weld up the backside of the support for added strength...heliarc the middle gear bolt heads to their accompaning plates while ur in there,also heliarc the star shaped timed wheel on the crankshaft carefully..(forget its name)

·
Registered
187 Posts
id check with someone to see if they can weld it for you. i broke mine last year and had a guy i know weld it up for me. so far so good. he also welded in some extra support pieces to stiffen it up some. i had about $600 all in all to get it up and running.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do you think I can get my case welded? it only snapped off the high support side and it broke pretty clean.....

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks slider buck, I will check in at the local machine shop to see if they can do something with it, I sure hope so, would save a lot of $$$$

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

post a picture of the damage...I weld them all the time and Topline machine is a good friend and he has the CNC program for machining the repaired case on the middle drive to factory spec,but he needs the support to finish fit it...it all depends of the severity of the damage

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After reviewing some older posts on here it seems to be quite a common problem amongst us Rhino owners, very unfortunate, but one usually doesnt research the problem until it happens and by then it's a little late ;) I just hope I can get mine welded and repaired A.S.A.P seeing is how hunting season starts in 9 days and thats the main reason I have this thing :)

I'm pretty sure I need a new crank shaft assembly as well, my engine had a knock to it prior to the middle gear carnage, and while tearing down the engine I noticed a fair amount of play in the connecting rod, so might as well replace that as well with some new rings and a cylinder honing, then hopefully I'm good to go again!

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
s

jumping and landing with the go pedal on the floor, high idle and or giving it gas and then slamming it into gear usually breaks them,shock loads.....never just had one break unless the aforemention conditions existed...but maybe I've been lucky and we drive like quad guys do,pedal to the metal at the dunes with big paddle tires...also I've heard that you should always drive offroad in 4x4,it supposively distributes the stress more evenly on the parts...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All I was doing was climbing up some old trails around my house with the wife sitting in the passenger seat when mine popped, Ive never once jumped it, guess it just didn't like the hills...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Yes it certainly is a common issue and it strikes at will!
I had mine go after a long day of nasty trail riding. Mud, hills, rocks etc.
Made it back to camp and pop!
The problem is one or more of the bolts gets loose and backs out, then the support shifts and soon, everything grenades.

Upgrade to the Weller middle gear support and make sure they loctite those bolts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts