Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just bought an 04 rhino 660 has 26in tires, black rhino cdi, piped, jetted. also has 372 hrs on it. had it out yesterday and could get up to 43mph but when i would let off the gas it would squeal real loud then clutch started slipping and could only go about 15mph so i took it home. the belt cover was very hot, took it off and smoke was coming out im guessing i burnt up the clutch. i wont have time to take apart for a few days so i figure i would c what u guys think so i can order parts. i wanna get a good heavy duty clutch setup and increase the speed. i got it cheap so ill spend the money on a good clutch setup. any info would help this is the first one ive had.
thanxs

·
Registered
5,892 Posts
probably smoked the belt.

Contact JBS (WV hot rod rhino) or Rutting Rhino and get the hot rod sheave. it's amazing, will see alot more bottom end with increased top speed.

and for the belt get a 700 OEM belt.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yep as dan said, you probly smoked the belt. More than likly with all those hours on there u will need a new one anyway. Before ordering othe parts besides the belt i would open it up and take a looke to see whats wrong before spending money you dont need to. Maybe the clutch came loose and you just need to tighten some stuff back up and slap a new belt on there. Look at chapparel racing for the 700 belt, best deal i could find, $100 shipped.

·
Registered
64 Posts
belt wear limit is 29MM measure it.......it may look ok but could be toast

I just replaced my WET clutch and the symptoms of that were lots of noise but NO go.....it just reved, no burning smell just no go...so Its probably your belt.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok ill have to check the belt better. i just ordered a rhino 700 belt, orange spring, and the hot rod sheave from james in wv so hopefully that does it. anybody know were to get s norkel kit for an 04?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
RuttingRhino.com is the online dealer for WV Hot Rod Rhino Sheaves...

They are machined for OD Grease Less weights and provide the best performance from stop to top of any sheave available...

I agree with Dan...

You probably smoked the belt...

Get an OEM replacement belt and this sheave with brand new cam plate and matched sliders and grease less od weights...

When you put them back together it will be a different machine... WV Hot Rod Rhino 660 Sheaves at RuttingRhino.com

You can get cheaper...you can also not get a cam plate...but the cam plates do wear...and when the teeth give up it is yet another mess...

This is what some customers say...
Vendor Thread Hot Rod Sheave

·
Registered
81 Posts
if it is a bad weight, and you need a new sheave, be sure to check your cam plate. I was stupid and did not. paid to have my WV hotrod sheave overnighted. found out while degreasing my old cam plate that it is what caused all the failures and had to wait to get a new cam plate. that ***** should be sitting on my porch when I get home tonight though!!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
brew...

you are gonna love it...

you have the wrong spring tho...that gold spring is killing your acceleration...

If you have 16g od drop back to orange spring...

·
Registered
81 Posts
It's orange. Im a jack ass who misspelled "orange" as "gold" :alcoholic:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i looked at it yesterday and it prolly is just the belt cuz it still does drive just slips and squeals real loud. i ordered the hot rod sheave, orange spring and a new 700 belt so hopefully thatll do it and give me sum more speed. i will also check out the cam plate
thanxs for the info

·
Registered
81 Posts
yep, degrease that plate and look and see if it has been worn out, on the splines, or if it is worn where the sliders go. if the sliders are real loose, time to buy a new one.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
i looked at it yesterday and it prolly is just the belt cuz it still does drive just slips and squeals real loud. i ordered the hot rod sheave, orange spring and a new 700 belt so hopefully thatll do it and give me sum more speed. i will also check out the cam plate
thanxs for the info

I would check the inner primary sheave and the cam plate and make sure they both have good splines on them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts