Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week used Rhino for 3 days - no problems. Went back next weekend, cranked and temperature light came on (after sitting cold for 7 days). The fan did not come on either...noticed that after driving for a few minutes. Any suggestions on what this could be or what I should check first? Looked at the Rhino manual but did not find anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
over temp

I had same issue with mine. it was the temp sensor(the one that turns fan on) I just wired mine to a switch that will come on anytime I am running no matter wht the temp.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If the light comes on right away, and stays on, but the fan isn't... it's probably the temp sensor.

The fan only comes on at 180 (i think?), so it will take more than a few minutes to kick on normally. Invest in a temp gauge... takes a LOT of guess work out!

If the light comes on after riding a few minutes, but the fan isn't on... you've probably got a blown head gasket. The temp sensor attached to the light is sitting right where the coolant exits the head... if it's reading hot, but the rad isn't (where the fan sensor is), you could have blown gasket.

Any chance your coolant wasn't rated to cold temps, and you've cracked something?

Oh ... and check that the fan actually WORKS. Mine blew up without me knowing it until the light kicked on! Pull the connection, put 12v across and it should spin. If not - that's blown too. Replace with a SPAL fan and shroud... DON'T BUY THE OEM STOCK ONE!!!! Waste of money... SPAL fan is much better, and the shroud is a MUST in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, coolant is good. The light comes on as soon as I turn the key, so looks like it's the sensor. I will wire the fan to the battery tonight to test. Yes, I think I'll invest in the gauge and SPAL fan and shroud if and when the fan goes out. Thanks for the help guys…

1 - 4 of 4 Posts