Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently given my late grandfather's old rhino 450, it's been sitting for about a year and a half and I've been looking around for parts to fix it back to stock. Then I saw a post about an r1 engine being swapped into a rhino. I'd mostly use the rhino for trail and dirt road riding and thought it'd be fun to have more power. I just can't find any forums on the actual build process, just people saying they've done it. If anyone has a link to a full build that would help out greatly. Thank you

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
A properly tuned 450 with a machined sheave and a cdi will run 42mph all day long. I know mine did, do u need faster than that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
If you plan on using it on dirt and trails, avoid any street bike conversion. The 2wd and high rpms to make any power make it useless almost irritating to drive. If the rhino was only going to be used in the sand or on long smooth roads than the r1 would be ok. Cost to make the conversion from scratch is roughly 5k on the cheap side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
493 Posts
if I'm not mistaken I think the 450 platform is very close to the 450 motor that is the popular racing quad. I f they are, you would be surprised what a Hi Comp piston, slip on, cam and some rejetting would do for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to stick with the 450 and try and get it running again, then do the things you all suggested to get it to run a little better and faster. I've looked at several sites and I'm not seeing a lot of aftermarket support for it. Do you have any sites you'd suggest using to source parts? I know I definitely need to replace rear CV axles.

·
Premium Member
3,063 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts