Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, this is a great forum.

I have enjoyed 14 effortless years of ownership with my Rhino 450, always carrying out routine maintenance.

The last time I was using it the engine sounded fine but cut out while idling briefly. I restarted it after 2-3 attempts and it started back up again and ran okay and I finished my task. The day was 80 degrees but the engine cut out like it would on a cold morning if the choke was not properly engaged.

The next day it started briefly and quite, and then it would not start at all.

What I checked (I am by no means an expert and am open to any suggestions):
The battery charge reads well,
The fuel pump is fine, (the filter is being replaced but does not appear to be the issue),
The spark plug has been replaced,
The air filter has been removed/cleaned,
The compression on the engine reads 80 lbs,
The ignition switch and starter seem to be working,

The manual is of little help.

Is there a coil or similar device that may be the culprit?

Thank you for any and all input.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It takes fuel, air and ignition for combustion - pretty sure you got plenty of air. So... when you replaced the plug how did the electrode area look - clean & white or dark & nasty? Sometimes the look of the plug tells a story. Does your engine crank over normally or sluggish?

If the motor cranks over good try squirting a little carb cleaner into the throat of the carb - does it want to start or, no change? If it starts (then dies) you could have a stuck float needle in the carb or a fuel "flow" problem which could be caused by old fuel lines that leak or suck air. Also you could have weak spark from a worn out ignition system. Just a few thoughts to get you started - good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It takes fuel, air and ignition for combustion - pretty sure you got plenty of air. So... when you replaced the plug how did the electrode area look - clean & white or dark & nasty? Sometimes the look of the plug tells a story. Does your engine crank over normally or sluggish?

If the motor cranks over good try squirting a little carb cleaner into the throat of the carb - does it want to start or, no change? If it starts (then dies) you could have a stuck float needle in the carb or a fuel "flow" problem which could be caused by old fuel lines that leak or suck air. Also you could have weak spark from a worn out ignition system. Just a few thoughts to get you started - good luck.
THANK YOU for the initial guidance.

The old spark plug looked clean, I pulled the new plug and double checked to see if I had a good spark when the starter is being engaged and the spark looks strong--unless I have a coil issue???

Here is a stupid question. How do I get to the throat of the Rhino 450 carb, which tube should I pull to spray in it, (obviously spraying into the air intake would be too far of a trip to get into the carb)?

Fuel lines as far as I can tell do not show any cracks or compromised areas.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It would be helpful (as I'm not totally familiar with the 450 setup) to provide a couple of pictures of the carb and intake area. Should be a no brainer but pics speak a lot of words..:giggle:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts