Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’m totally new to this forum and sxs in general and I just bought an 05 660. It has 28” tires, looks like it has the high clearance arms, and has been snorkeled. Other than that I believe it’s stock from just a quick look over. I took it out today and it felt like it got to the limiter relatively quick? The fastest I could get it to was 35 according to my gps... is that about right and if so what could I do to increase the top end speed starting with the cheapest upgrades? Thanks in advance guys!

·
Registered
492 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It’s definitely not running out of power it gets there quick but then it’s like how a car or truck gets to a governor, it just stops pulling and won’t gain anymore rpm after 35. I haven’t taken a look at the belt or clutch yet but will probably do so tonight.

·
Vendor
3,509 Posts
It’s definitely not running out of power it gets there quick but then it’s like how a car or truck gets to a governor, it just stops pulling and won’t gain anymore rpm after 35. I haven’t taken a look at the belt or clutch yet but will probably do so tonight.
Then it is running out of power, if no limiter then not clutch.

Running out of power means, it gets to some rpm and that is it as you described.

So is it hitting the rev limiter or not? It cuts spark at rev limiter and duh duh duh sound

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would guess his clutch is in bad shape like most stock old clutches .... they get dirty, muddy and roller guides break and they quit slinging out like they should, so the machine does not go as fast as it should.
If it is a stock clutch, it needs cleaning and greasing AT BEST.

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Very true

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Lead Moderator
3,809 Posts
A slug kit wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah it’s hitting the rev limiter. But I took it out today and I’m pretty sure I messed something up in the rear diff. Was in 2wd taking off after climbing a ditch and it made a god awful noise and wouldn’t move. Rear drive shaft would still spin but zero movement. Put it in 4wd and it would go but just spinning the front tires ?

·
Vendor
3,509 Posts
Yeah it’s hitting the rev limiter. But I took it out today and I’m pretty sure I messed something up in the rear diff. Was in 2wd taking off after climbing a ditch and it made a god awful noise and wouldn’t move. Rear drive shaft would still spin but zero movement. Put it in 4wd and it would go but just spinning the front tires ?
You stripped out the splines on rear shaft

·
Premium Member
3,131 Posts
Glad it wasent the middle drive gear

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
If you want a clean used oem rear driveshaft and rear brake hub boss, let me know and I can ship it out to you pm me

1 - 16 of 16 Posts