Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the fuel pump with an electric fuel pump. I left the T back to the tank. I put the electric pump where the old diaphragm pump was. I have a new oiled filter and a New clean fuel filter. Runs great anywhere from idle to about 1/2 throttle. It doesn't matter if I am sitting still in neutral or punch sittling still or punch it when moving or gradually open it up, once it gets past about 1/2 throttle it bogs like if you put your hand over the airbox intake. If i drop the throttle back below 1/2 it immediately runs great again. If am moving and punch it and it bogs I can open the choke and it will run great. If i open the choke first and punch it will run great. The first fuel pump I put on two weekends ago didnt do this but it only lasted about 10 minutes. They sent me a new one and now this. Is there something Could have done wrong or is it the fuel pump again?

I used the same one that Punch1975 used in this post:

·
Registered
2006 Yamaha Rhino 660, Explorer, new Progressive 429 Shocks
57 Posts
Did you install a fuel flow regulator? Your car has an electric fuel pump but it also has a fuel flow regulator which is a must. I installed the Mr. Gasket 42S Electric Fuel Pump along with the Holley 12-804 Reg, Fuel Press 1-4 Psi and it works quite well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I replaced the fuel pump with an electric fuel pump. I left the T back to the tank. I put the electric pump where the old diaphragm pump was. I have a new oiled filter and a New clean fuel filter. Runs great anywhere from idle to about 1/2 throttle. It doesn't matter if I am sitting still in neutral or punch sittling still or punch it when moving or gradually open it up, once it gets past about 1/2 throttle it bogs like if you put your hand over the airbox intake. If i drop the throttle back below 1/2 it immediately runs great again. If am moving and punch it and it bogs I can open the choke and it will run great. If i open the choke first and punch it will run great. The first fuel pump I put on two weekends ago didnt do this but it only lasted about 10 minutes. They sent me a new one and now this. Is there something Could have done wrong or is it the fuel pump again?

Did you plug the vacuum hose off the old fuel pump?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

A buddy from my motocross days that owns a motorcycle shop said I probably had some trash in my jet. He suggested that before I take the carb of and apart to clean it trying doing this: Crank it and let it warm up. Once is it warmed up open the throttle as much as I can without it bogging then using my hand slowly cover the air box intake until it starts to choke down, then open the covering just a bit and open the throttle. This may pull the trash through the jet. I did this a couple of times and it worked. Machine is running great now. The electric pump is SOOOO much better than that crappy diaphragm one. I have more power all through the rpm range. Before the electric pump, it wouldn't spin the tires in dry dirt in low gear, now I can do donuts in high. Nothing else was changed on the bike.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I would say that your "fix" was actually the best thing for it. If it was a fuel supply issue, the amount of power it had wouldn't be a problem until you ran the fuel bowl dry. If your happy with it, leave it alone. I'd personally pull the bowl and make sure everything is clean.

Thanks for letting everyone know the fix, though!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts