Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished putting in new diff fluid and I didn't realize the fill plug was made from glass and if you tighten it that it would break. Does anyone on here have a fill plug to sell or a spare that I could get by tue? I'm in orange county ca. Thanks for any help. It's for the rear on a 2007

·
Registered
3 Posts
In a pinch I'd take your pieces to an auto parts store and look at their supply of metric drain plugs. Might be able to find something to get you by till a new one comes in.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know this is a REALLY old thread to resurrect, but I found it looking for help as well. Like many folks, I managed to snap off the rear diff fill plug at an insanely small amount of torque (like 1/64's of a turn past hand tight with a ratcheting box end wrench.). I never even felt it try to snug up with the o-ring and it just snapped. Curiously it was decently tight when I went to remove it, taking a light tap to the end of the same wrench to break free. Fortunately I was able to remove the broken portion literally by hand with a snap ring pliers to apply just a little pressure on the hollowed out portion that was visible once it broke off.

Anyhow...for those curious, it is M20x1.5. I found a replacement plug that was much more robust at the local Advance Auto Parts. I'm sure just about all of the other places have it, that was just the first place I checked. It came with a crush washer but I just re-used the old o-ring. I was pretty careful not to over torque this one since it would probably strip the housing out before it broke.

Maybe this was a design feature on the original differential to prevent messing up the aluminum threads in the housing? I can't think of any other reason to have hollowed out the middle of the factory plug, which also appears to be aluminum, unless it was die cast that way and the threads were just cut into it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts