Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
that method should work too.. i think the wellers are selling the kits.. but not 100% sure.. pm 450grl on here, and i am sure they can help you out.

g

·
Registered
158 Posts
ill take some pics of it next time im messing with it. its tube frame though, so i guess its not really a rhino.

pretty simple setup, 3rd member for any car with irs is easy to swap. i used toyota because of all the ratios available. and its fairly narrow.

those mini sprint cars run liter bike engines turned sideways with toyota solid axle rear end. irs rear end uses the same gears, just different housing. i just jacked a setup from one of those cars.

its trailing arm in the rear, not a arm like a "real" rhino.

arent the weller kits just drive spools used in any min rail? i think metal tech sells em cheap.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
PM sent!!! We were out of town on Friday.....sorry!!!

And no...our rear drive system is completely custom from solid chromoly which is then hardened and splined to fit a Gorilla CV......we tried to find something already in production that would work and wouldn't cost us $4k.....but we couldn't find anything. That's why we just had our own setup made. We also wanted this to be able to fit into any rhino that uses a regular aftermarket suspension kit - no trailing arms to deal with or anything. The only part in the rear that needs to be custom is the axle shafts - those are a different length than the normal +6 kits......and we only used Gorilla axles with our kit, because we haven't had any of those axles fail.

·
Registered
997 Posts
you're awesome 450. Just love hearing you talk so rhino! You and your hubby doing a whole lot of engine swaps these days? Oe just a few here and there?

·
Registered
965 Posts
I want to see more on this swap??? Please keep us updated on this... I wanted to use that same motor but wasn't sure if the swap would work...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
We really don't do the whole swap at our shop - it's lengthy and time consuming and we are set up for building up rhino motors....but we have started selling some of our rear drive kits to people who can do the install themselves......our rear drive was holding up really well, so we are more comfortable with other people using them now.

·
Registered
463 Posts
i'd also like to see pics of the rear drive installed or something different then the first prototype pics you posted. i was hoping you would have had one of the rhinos at that corr race in lancaster we saw you at.

found this the other day which looked quite interesting.

anyone seen these before? nice and compact, pushed by a turbo busa motor. made by transworks

·
Registered
158 Posts
yeah its just a bus box locked into whatever gear to give it the desired reduction. shifter housing is eliminated. mine is set up the same way, but i used a car rear end and geared it to 5.76

·
Registered
158 Posts
mine was never a rhino. just a pile of tubing and rhino body. but i know someone that owns a rhino shop so if you guys need stock parts give me a shout and ill see what he wants for them.

·
Registered
463 Posts
HIDden,

what motor are you running?? i was thinking the same thing awhile back with a BMW motor since they are shaft driven, however i believe the motor sits normal not sideways (seems like the exhaust would get uncomfrtable for a passenger if the motor is sideways... no?.

·
Registered
158 Posts
cbr1000rr, inline four. the exhaust is actually next to me. its a chain drive normally, but i have an adapter to convert to a toyota driveshaft flange, yota 8.8 irs 3rd member is about 9 inches wide. much narrower than that bus contraption. and we all know longer axles equal more travel :). if you wrap the headers and build a firewall with that insulated under hood dynomat stuff i figure u wont catch on fire.

oh yeah my bottom rail width is 66 inches. so uhh... the header isnt all that close to me. its actually 3 seater. side by side by side. baby seat in the middle for my boy.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts