Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
The only way to get mud completely out of it is to remove the radiator and wash it out with a garden hose. If its really bad let it soak over night. then wash with low pressure.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The best way is water and air...oh ya and patience.
Hit it with water both sides, then air both sides....repeat until water flows through completely in all areas and no grit comes out when you hit it with the air.
Regulate the water and air pressure so you do not bend the fins. It needs to be strong but not to the point of peeling paint!
I spend more time on the rad then the entire machine.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
i used to spray mine and think it was clean until i removed it. i had to soak it for three days to finally get all that baked in mud out of there.
i have moved mine up to the rollcage now, one of the best mods i have ever done

·
Registered
78 Posts
If you ride deep mud much a sheild wont work, dirty water will plug the rad just as fast. The only thing that solves the problem is moving the rad like Moto92 said. I have mine moved too, there are pics in my photobucket that will show you how.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Nope, don't have your sheilds. But do have one of XMF's laying in the garage somewhere. The mud sticking to the front isn't the problem, its the dirty water that gets between the fins that plugs the rad. We tried everything here to stop it, even wrapped my rad completley in aluminum window screen and ran engine ice in it. Was plugged solid and overheating half way through the first ride. If you ride in mud deep enough that your rad is submerged no sheild will help.

·
Banned
3,290 Posts
guess ill have to get everybody that has mine to get on here and tell you they do work..you should test a product before you give people false facts on it...if youve tried others and it didnt work thats fine but dont say mine dont work when you havent tried them

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
guess ill have to get everybody that has mine to get on here and tell you they do work..you should test a product before you give people false facts on it...if youve tried others and it didnt work thats fine but dont say mine dont work when you havent tried them
Like he says...we have "big" mud here in WV also...my bike HAS NOT overheated since I put these on!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just watched all your videos on youtube. Guess our definitions of BIG mud are very different. I saw a lot of stock height machines with stock size tires playing in puddles.

·
Banned
3,290 Posts
wow thats all 6700 miles right there on you tube.....over the headlights everytime we ride but why am i telling you...you know everything about me now after watching you-tube...our rhino used to overheat now it dont with the shields.....hhhmmmmmmm...but my shield dont work...thanks for the info ill take them off...lol

·
Registered
43 Posts
Do not use a high pressure steam cleaner/power washer, or even high pressure setting on garden hose nozzle, because you will bend and damage the cooling fins.
Remove the radiator and use the shower setting on nozzle and be prepared to take some time in getting it cleaned.
One of my friends does a lot of mudding riding and has relocated his radiator just behind the cab in the bed area with a larger fan . It works great and no more mud build up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used to race dirt stock cars and putting the garden hose near the radiator on the back side and letting the water flow through works good but about every 3 races we would take it out and soak it in a kiddie pool.

·
Registered
525 Posts
I too have problems with caked rads when riding in deep mud and water.

WV: I understand the reasoning behind the rad shields and look like a fabulous product to stop the spray from the tires and minimize the flow of watery mud to the rad. And they should be tried before critiquing.

Puffer: I also understand the reasoning why you think they won't work in the deep stuff. When slugging through deep muddy water holes the water will simply flow in the middle and still cake up the rad.

I am not taking anyone's side here, just pointing out that I think I know where both of you are coming from, right?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I too have problems with caked rads when riding in deep mud and water.

WV: I understand the reasoning behind the rad shields and look like a fabulous product to stop the spray from the tires and minimize the flow of watery mud to the rad. And they should be tried before critiquing.

Puffer: I also understand the reasoning why you think they won't work in the deep stuff. When slugging through deep muddy water holes the water will simply flow in the middle and still cake up the rad.

I am not taking anyone's side here, just pointing out that I think I know where both of you are coming from, right?

You are correct. Like I said before, I had my rad completley covered in window screen and the dirty water still got in. As soon as it hits the heat from the rad the mud sticks between the fins and plugs it solid. I'm not trying to attack VW's product, just stating that no sheild will stop the dirty water we deal with here from getting in. If you ride in cleaner water you won't have the same problems we do here. Muskeg is brutal to clean out.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well...all I can say is, 4 of us went riding yesterday evening in our "puddles" here in WV.....I am the only rhino in the group running the JBS sheilds....I was the only rhino that didn't overheat!!! Muddy water is muddy water, no matter how you mix it....dirt+water=radiator problems! Don't knock these sheilds till you try them!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.