Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there know of a complete R1 motor for sale, I'm trying to find a good deal for the swap. I've been checking ebay but haven't really found any good deals yet, also what year R1 would you recommend and what the pros and cons of certain years? I was also planning on going with the Weller SR1 kit, any suggestions otherwise? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
I went with 04-06. Little cheaper than the later models, but use the same Weller mounts, so you can update later on if you want.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks alternativeoffroad, but 2500 seems a little steep since the weller kit is already 3700 and i cant get any money back from the 686 since its completely done.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
$2000-2500 is about right for a 08...

my 05 was about 1600, and I had to piece it together from multiple sellers, but prices have gone up since then

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
First one looks like a good deal.

Second one is not an 05, thats a 02-03. Which is fine, but doesn't fit the 04-08 Weller mounts. Nobody is really using that year motor, as they don't have the same top end power as the later years.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
I bought my o6 R1 from a theft recovery bike for $1400 including shipping with only 1100 miles off of EBAY. There are some deals out there for sure.

I went with Darkside Fab's new kit that includes mounts for an RPM reverse box and you don't have to widen the B-pillars. It also fits under the stock rhino engine cover with a little trimming. Dnes and drives real nice. Real nice and fast install also with a little cutting and welding.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I havn't done this swap but I would think you would want one of the later ones with injection instead of carbs. I don't know what year they went to injection.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
the 02-03 are the first year for fuel injection, they just converted Mikuni carbs to injection, so they still look like carbs.

02-03 aren't that bad of a motor. they actually make more low end power, and have lower internal gearing than the later years. They just don't make the top end power like the later motors. Corry Weller raced a 03 for quite a while when the SR1 class was just created.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for all the feedback guys and rhinonut do you know the price of the darkside kit. also I wont be adding reverse so no need for the rpm box

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
If you arent doing reverse, stick to the Weller kit, IMO. Its proven to be cheap, reliable and well engineered, with a ton of people on the forums that have done them.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Thanks for the props, guys!! :)

We do make motor mounts for 2002 - 2008 R1 motors, as well as SV1000 and some 2009 R1 motors that we have done for a few dune customers.

For the OP....WildEarp is right - the 02/03 motors were fun -I really enjoyed the low end power in them, but I would get walked on a little with the top end - I still won races, so it wasn't that much - lol! :) I currently run 2008 motor, and it's been great.

Give Jason a call at the shop at 480-507-4771 - we usually have some good lines on R1 motors for our customers, and Jason might be able to locate one for you for less than what you are finding on Ebay. What you wind up paying will depend on if you want a low mileage, newer motor that comes with the intakes, wiring harness, ecu, headers, etc....or just the motor itself. Since this is your first motor, you will need all of that stuff if you can get it with the motor. Getting a cluster along with it is a nice bonus!

You will love the swap, btw. I duned all weekend last weekend in my SR1 - without even touching it since it's last race. It was awesome......I don't even want to get out of my car when we are in Glamis - lol!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your help Corry. I just gave Jason a call and he did send me in the right direction. I will get everything I need for my first motor and as soon as I do I'll be giving you guys a weller a call to order the SR1 kit. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,996 Posts
If you arent doing reverse, stick to the Weller kit, IMO. Its proven to be cheap, reliable and well engineered, with a ton of people on the forums that have done them.
I agree 100%. If you are not interested in reverse and don't mind widening your B-pillars, the Weller kit is the way to go for sure.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.