Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 06 rhino and it seems to be running jam up for the most part. Been going through it tubing stuff up and it seems the oil has a fuel smell. I changed the oil and it seems to be the same way. Also smell gas real good when riding enough that my clothes smell. Nothing is leaking and I have read into older threads saying it the fuel in the oil has to do with the carb. Anyone have some more details

·
Registered
121 Posts
Couple thoughts:

From my understanding, the only way for raw un-burnt fuel to enter the oil is to slip past the rings.....indicating time for a top-end job.

On the other hand, my clothes normally smell like my vehicle's exhaust after an outing and my engine oil always kinda smells like gas. But if the vehicle is running rich, then the exhaust fumes will also smell more like raw fuel....and thus your clothes will too.

Those are the 2 paths I'd start with.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah after changing the oil the new oil kind Of smells like gas on the dip stick but not sure if it is residual or what it does smell more like a riding lawnmower than raw gasoline I have a half windshield also so I hear that makes it worse as far as the smell inside. Honestly that my last concern just trying to figure out this gas oil thing. When I changed the oil it wasn’t really runny or thinned out just smells like gas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m still leaning towards it being the carb float valve sticking open seems like that’s a very likely culprit that would cause my gas smell in the cab the fuel smell in the oil and the occasional backfire upon backing off a wide open throttle that I’m experiencing

·
Registered
499 Posts
If the PO installed an electric fuel pump the float valve may not be able to hold back the pressure and it will overflow after you cut off the engine and fill cylinder if intake is on open part of cycle.
Fill out your signature with as much info as you can gather on the Rhino so others can help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Only mods to the engine are cdi and soon to be k and n air filter it has stock fuel system and all

·
Holiday Winner!
506 Posts
You might try without the half windshield. Sometimes that can change the airflow pulling exhaust and air from the engine compartment up into the cab area, give it that old lawnmower smell. Have you tried pressure washing the engine bay? Could just be 14 years of various residues. It might smell worse when you first clean it as it will push stuff around. Have you considered the Uni filter over the K&N?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Haven’t heard of that one and it seems like my units oil is smelling more like oil I bought an oem carb revamp kit which surely isn’t gonna hurt anything but it seems the smell isn’t as bad now either maybe she just wasn’t getting ran enough from previous owners. Unfortunately I’ve already got the k and n on the way

1 - 9 of 9 Posts