Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've learned that my 2004 660 electrical power supply is lacking (kills the battery when running my light bar). Ive read many different solutions to this but being a newbie some do not go into the details.

So I have a few questions:

What is the stock stator power output? I see after market ones that produce 300w and 500 watts.. Just curious how much gain there is over stock.

Where is the stator and how difficult is it to replace?

The add on alternator options, where exactly does this get mounted? What is driving it?

IF the stator isn't too hard to get at and it provides enough additional power that seams like the cheapest and easiest to implement, also less long term maintenance. Id still add a second battery under the drivers seat with an isolator to protect the starting battery.

·
Vendor
2,089 Posts
WE HAVE THIS FOR YA

UTV INC YAMAHA RHINO 04-07 660 60 AMP ALTERNATOR KIT

SINGLE WIRE HOOK UP AND BOASTS 60 AMPS OF RAW FURY TO RUN WHATEVER YOU THROW AT IT. KIT INCLUDES:

60 AMP ALTERNATOR
POWER WIRE
BELT
2 PULLYS
CRANK ADAPTER
MOUNTING BRACKET
ALL HARDWARE
ALUMINUM COVER THAT HAS BEEN MODIFIED TO FIT WITH ALTERNATOR
INSTRUCTIONS FOR EASY INSTALL
UTV INC STICKERS

AVERAGE INSTALLATION TIME ~ 3 HOURS

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
That's a nice looking kit...!

I would do the alternator over the 500W stator myself...

Everyone I know that has an alternator now doesn't want to give it up...

What is the lighting budget in watts typically with that 60 amp alternator...?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've had the utv.inc alt setup for a year now and really like it. Mine didn't come with the aluminum cover, might check into that. I first just had the oddisy 925 batt, but fried it with the wrong charger, it worked good but i could not run 4 hids and the ssv stereo together at night without dim lights and the volt gauge dancing around like a tach. So now i just run the alt kit with a stock batt (plan on getting a new oddisy 925 batt) and have had no problems. I can run the ssv stereo with a 10" sub pumping and all lights without missing a beat. Install was easy, minus removing the gas tank for me, one wire running to your battery (pos). Simple and a good piece of mind. I personally wouldn't bother with a new stator, haven't heard much good about them and you still may be limited in the future with there lower output.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WE HAVE THIS FOR YA

UTV INC YAMAHA RHINO 04-07 660 60 AMP ALTERNATOR KIT

SINGLE WIRE HOOK UP AND BOASTS 60 AMPS OF RAW FURY TO RUN WHATEVER YOU THROW AT IT. KIT INCLUDES:

60 AMP ALTERNATOR
POWER WIRE
BELT
2 PULLYS
CRANK ADAPTER
MOUNTING BRACKET
ALL HARDWARE
ALUMINUM COVER THAT HAS BEEN MODIFIED TO FIT WITH ALTERNATOR
INSTRUCTIONS FOR EASY INSTALL
UTV INC STICKERS

AVERAGE INSTALLATION TIME ~ 3 HOURS
Your kit looks great, can you give me an idea where it mounts and what drives it? From reading another post it sounds like its on the passenger side and requires removing the gas tank for the installation is that correct?

THanks

~ Phil

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So from talking to some folks it sounds like the altenator mounts on the passenger side and requires removing the fan and replacing it with the pulley. So my question is what was the fan cooling and what do I risk having over heat without the fan??

Thanks

~ Phil

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bump, anyone with an add on alternator care to share what the risk associated with taking the fan off in place of the pulley??

THanks

~ Phil

·
Registered
979 Posts
If you follow the ducting from where that fan is, it runs up underneath the bed of the rhino to help cool the exhaust and push the hot air out to keep the bottom of the bed cool as well. I ran my alternator setup and never had any issues with anything getting too hot.

·
Banned
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you follow the ducting from where that fan is, it runs up underneath the bed of the rhino to help cool the exhaust and push the hot air out to keep the bottom of the bed cool as well. I ran my alternator setup and never had any issues with anything getting too hot.
Thanks thats what I was looking to hear.

~ Phil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.