Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

quest for a quieter ride

139K views 168 replies 80 participants last post by  MagnoliaHunter 
#1 ·
Has anyone insulated the engine cowl? I'd like to find something to use as insulation that will hold up to the heat and vibrations. Something in an aerosol would be ideal. Anyone try it?

#3 ·
Dynamat from crutchfield the hoodliner version was $69.99. I was under the impression the the engine cowl already had some engine supression material in it?

I will be taking the UTV to the spray in bedliner shops to have the bed, fender wells and the portion of bed right behind the seats sprayed.

That's my first step. Second is the Dynamat in the engine cowl that doesn't already have the factory insulation.

#5 ·
There are 2 little pieces of deadener on the engine cover, The dynamat should help a bunch. As far as the bedliner stuff, have you ever felt how hot the bed of a trucks gets in the sun!

#6 ·
The cover does have a supression material, but it's patched in. There is lots of area with no coverage. The dynamat looks like it would work well, if you could get good coverage. I've already covered the front of the bed with bedliner. I've noticed some improvement at lower speeds. I'm going to stop by an audio shop today to see what they might have. Thanks for the replys.

#9 ·
I decided to try using the rubberized undercoating you can find almost anywhere. It kind of turned into a cluster f**k but in the end turned out OK. I just took it for a spin and it did seem to help some. If anyone is thinking of going this route, PM me first and I'll save you some grief. Thanks for the replies!

#14 · (Edited)
I used the Bondo brand rubberized undercoat from Home Depot, but Ace and Walmart had other brands...same stuff. What I liked about it over bedliner is they advertize that they reduce noise.
Removing the old felt liner was easy, it just peeled off in one piece for each side. After cleaning it with soap and water, I roughed up the surface with a wire brush in my drill. That was quite easy too.
I had never worked with this stuff so I didn't know what to expect. It comes out almost red, and bubbles when it lands on the surface. It turned black when it dried, and left a real uneven blotchy coat. I let that dry and sprayed on another coat. (I figured if a little is good, a lot is better, right?) I let that dry over night. The next day I used spray-on adhesive to re-apply the felt. It wouldn't stick at all!
I figured out the undercoating was too thick, so I used a hand held wire brush to remove the excess, and let that dry all day and over night. Now it looked a lot more uniform with a felt-like surface. It had finally cured. I could run my fingers over it w/o black residue rubbing off, but it still had a rubbery feel to it. I reapplied the felt liner and could tell right away it was adhering well.
What I came away with was... don't apply it too thick, and give it plenty of time to cure.
The under coat was about $5 ,and I already had the glue, so I think it was worth it. It definitely muted the engine noise some. Now that I know the characteristics of the stuff, I'll use it again. Hope that helps!

#12 ·
I wear ear plugs a lot when I am driving the Rhino. It scares the **** out of me when I take them out. It sounds like it is going to explode!

#15 ·
Coat your bed in linex or herculiner from walmart. It will ease the pain on the ears.

Reactions: EODGator
#17 ·
The felt is the factory insulation. It's a stamped "peel and stick' piece. It hardly offers complete coverage, but I figured it could only enhance the undercoating.
The entire project is pretty easy if you avoid the mistakes I made. Even taking off the excess with the wire brush only took a few minutes. It's not the ultimate fix, but I think even the moderate improvement was worth the time and money. Good luck!

#18 ·
I sell custom acoustical fiberglass sound absorbing blankets for rhinos. They are 15" wide and 5' long. They go underneath both seats and over the engine underneath the engine cowl. The blankets resist heat, abrasion, oil, grease, dirt, moisture, and most solvents and chemicals. They are made of quilted fiberglass 1" thick with vinyl-coated fiberglass cloth on both sides. I have one on my 08 rhino 700 and it made a big differnce with cab noise and also heat. I also line-x the bed including the front of it and the combination makes a big difference. The blankets only work on fuel injected rhinos due to the air intake on the carb models. Let me know if you are interested.

#33 ·
This stuff looks pretty cool... I noticed on their webiste it specifically says dot not apply to plastic surfaces... only metal. Did you have any trouble with it sticking to the engine cowl??

#24 ·
if i recall correct 07fj says if you put a hole on the bottom front of the air box it gets quieter....did this, but have not tried it yet....whats the worse that can happen, i get water in my intake and my motor goes to ****.....lol that might be an option
IT sure will, it cancels some of the intake snorkle noise from the carb, and you can use the little foam piece on top of intake tube down by the hole you drilled as a prescreen in front of your air filter.

I would think the 08-09's are quiter in this area, I do not know as I have not driven one myself.

You can a large piece of metallic coated padding at camping supply places that are thick like the jute under the carpet in your car, I have used this around genny's in trailers to quiet the sound inside, it really works, and way thicker than the stock stuff too

Rog

#22 ·
i have a hoe in the side of my air box that has a radiator hose running out of it that the previous owner installed machine run fine and my cab is pretty damn quiet.

#29 ·
I bought the damplifier and spectrum from Second Skin. Pulled the bed from my 450. Pulled the side panels off. Put 3 coats of spectrum on the bottom, sides and front of the bed. Added Damplifier behind the side panels. Put damplifier on the upper side of the skid plates under the motor, drive shaft and exhaust. Removed the exhaust heat shield and put strips of damplifier on the frame where it attaches to cut down the vibration. DO NOT put it on the heat shield. Did that. It smelled like ****. Seemed to hold up ok just could not take the smell. Put Damplifier on the inside of the engine cover and drive shaft cover and reinstalled the factory felt.

All this made a big improvement in the noise level!!!

Today I snorkled the exhaust out to under the hood like this guy did.

http://www.rc-trucks.org/yamaha-rhino-snorkel.htm

I took it for a quick ride down the street and it seemed to run fine. Intake noise was gone. I need to take it out in the desert and see how it runs to determine if I need to rejet. I will let you know how it went. By the way anyone know what the cost is on a replacement air scoop that fits on the engine cover. I really need to do some trimming on it to clear the snorkle hose. Right now I am just kinda mashing it down. Did not want to hack it up until I was sure it was going to run OK with the snorkle. If I trim it up I may need a replacement someday to put it back to stock.

#30 ·
Took my snorkeled 450 to Heber yesterday and rejetted for altitude. I am very happy to say that it runs fine even seems to have a little more throttle response with the snorkel. Was getting 38 on flats and 41 down hill and with the snorkel I have the same speeds. With the snorkel, Benz silent exhaust and all the second skin sound deadening material it is soooooo much quieter. Now I can throw away the ear plugs. YEAH. Still gotta do something about the dust. It is really dry this time of year and you have to take a shower after every ride.

#32 ·
For 1 gal of Spectrum and 1 order of damplifier sheets it was about $100. The gal of Spectrum is probaby enough to do 2 Rhinos and you get enough damplifier to do one Rhino with a couple of sheets left over.

#34 ·
Thanks 1stRhino

I found and followed 1stRhino's recs with the spectrum and damplifier products on my '09 Camo 700. I've finished the bed only, and I already notice a quieter ride. We ride around our farm and spotlight stuff at night (just to look at, unless it's a hog or armadillo) and it'll be nice to talk to the passenger without yelling. I'm gonna wait on the skid treatments since I have a new front bash plate, etc. on the way to replace the plastic chicanery that came stock. Anyway, loving the awesome compilation of knowledge and experience here. Thanks guys.

#36 · (Edited)
I insulated my dog house with fiberglass accoustical insulation that I found at McMaster Carr (actually a buddy suggested it). I took out the original insulation (if you want to call it that) then I cut pieces to fit the sides and top then epoxied them to the plastic. The differance is incredible.

The McMaster Carr part number is 9781T61. It comes in a 4x4 piece.

It took some time but well worth it.

I'll try to attach a pic.

#37 ·
I insulated my dog house with fiberglass accoustical insulation that I found at McMaster Carr (actually a buddy suggested it). I took out the original insulation (if you want to call it that) then I cut pieces to fit the sides and top then epoxied them to the plastic. The differance is incredible.

The McMaster Carr part number is 9781T61. It comes in a 4x4 piece.

It took some time but well worth it.

I'll try to attach a pic.
Is this the right picture? It looks like it was made for the project or you have some sewing skills.

#38 · (Edited)
Yes that looks like something my mother would have sewn up in a hurry. I do bet it shuts out a lot of noise. I am currently uploading photos of the damplifier on the inside of my engine cover and my snorkle to under the hood to photo bucket. I will try to figure out how to post them once I get them in photo bucket. It may be tomorrow as slow as the upload is going.

Here is a photo of the damplifier applied to the engine cover.

Here are pics of the snorkel job.

And todays project-----Header Wrap-----

#99 ·
Yes that looks like something my mother would have sewn up in a hurry. I do bet it shuts out a lot of noise. I am currently uploading photos of the damplifier on the inside of my engine cover and my snorkle to under the hood to photo bucket. I will try to figure out how to post them once I get them in photo bucket. It may be tomorrow as slow as the upload is going.

Here is a photo of the damplifier applied to the engine cover.

Here are pics of the snorkel job.

And todays project-----Header Wrap-----

How hot does it get under the engin cover? Talked to Second Skin and they said not to apply their damplifer if it got above a certain temp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.