Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
ok so i just installed my UTV crap exhaust tip on my 04 rhino, (it has 4200 miles) and i just noticed that when im running high rpms in neutral or driving in high that it blows out some purple smoke, steady in neutral and puffs while running around 38 mph. whats goin on here? and how do i fix it? also another random question, occasionally while driving the rear right tire area will start to squeal until i get going and hold the brakes in a attempt to clean the brake pad and doing this will make it quit. but about 10-15 mins will start again. and even more, when turning the rear left axle area makes a poping/cracking sound, i replaced the inner boot cleaned and greased the cv joint and put new oil in the rear diff. so any thoughts on all this? (edit) i also thought i should add that with the tip it seems to be running hotter than it was before. (new edit) I also just had it serviced 4 days ago. (full service)
thanks

·
Registered
615 Posts
Wheel bearings...........

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both sides? and any ideas on the rest?

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on the smoke I am thinkin its runnin lean, overfull on oil, or has cylinder issues. any thoughts? :fingersx:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The popping you're hearing , is a bad cv ...you will be able to tell if any bearings are bad when you jack it up. I'd say the smoke issue , with that many miles , is the top end. The shroud should've made it run cooler. The tip really doesn't do anything , but ad bling.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
balls...... :eek5: that explains the clicking and sadly the smoke, and the other comment explains the right side bearing.... any advice to go about fixing all this? im a broke ass 16 yr old tryna buy a truk still but damn a cant do **** with my addiction and problems with this thing. im thinkin if I gotta do it to go with a benchmark 686 with stock trade-in. find a cheap cv and bearing. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
x2 on the CV being the clicking you hear. Good thing is the CV is a fairly easy job once you get the parts. If you're broke than just get a cheap set of bearings...you can get them on Ebay for like $15 a set. They don't last long but will get you back on the trail. They are a ***** to do without the right tools. What I do is take off the spindles and bring them to a garage. My mechanic only charges me like $10 to swap them out.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok ill prob jus do the whole cv, i mean if i gotta spend it id rather do it once. and any thoughts on the engine issue? u've given me good advice before.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
With that many miles I'd also lean towards top end....black smoke is oil burning. If it were lean it would sputter and probably backfire.

If it was me, I'd keep a really close eye on the oil and just run it until you have the coin to fix it. But this is coming from a guy with a broke down Rhino sitting in his shed.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:17:

update... i got it fired up a few mins ago, and reved it up. it puffed blue twice then quit :32: so i backed it out of the shed real slow and it made a clanking noise after 10 feet and wouldnt move. i looked at the rear diff and the rear support had broke and the diff slid back, partially stripped the drive shaft and possiblely cracked part of the diff..... FML!!!! :17: AHHHH!!!!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
update... i got it fired up a few mins ago, and reved it up. it puffed blue twice then quit :32: so i backed it out of the shed real slow and it made a clanking noise after 10 feet and wouldnt move. i looked at the rear diff and the rear support had broke and the diff slid back, partially stripped the drive shaft and possiblely cracked part of the diff..... FML!!!! :17: AHHHH!!!!
actually pretty common in these. They can be welded. do a quick search...guys are fixing these without replacing the entire diff.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
man I love you! :banana: thanks so much ill look into howta do it, recheck the engine and ill take it to a welding shop down tha road. I hear that there real good at fixing rhino parts. that what my dealer said anyway. :fingersx: and I inspected it and the diff case looks to be intact, so jus gotta realign and weld it.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
They make a gusset support that helps with the fix as well. Good idea since it's already going to be weakened

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
and the drive shaft spines just had oil on em makin em appear stripped. so I think were all good. even if tha engine is still bad atleast the drive issue shudnt be too awful bad.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ill go ahead and get that support too

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
im havin a hard time findin the support for a 04 know any places I could find one? im findin 06 and up.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thought id update, took it to my welding dude and he sent me to yamaha to have them reallign the rear diff. they looked at it and wanted to put a new frame on it.. i said "what the hell?" and so now there just gonna try to allign it and strap it down (they said whenever it moves tha diff pops back up) and then take it to the welder and get him to weld it down. and there also gonna look into tha blue smoke issue... :fingersx: jus thought id let errbody kno what happend. thanks for your help errbody!

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
the blue smoke now only starts when it hits the rev limiter and when i give it more gas beyond that... imma run it awhile and see what happens.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts