Yamaha Rhino Forum banner

Primary Clutch Issue

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Chalkminer 
#1 ·
Hello all,
I just bought project 07 rhino 660. The guy I bought it from said it was having clutch issues so I bought it at a good price. When I rev up the motor in neutral, the primary, secondary and belt spin but the primary never closes up and the belt doesn't ride up. Not a lot of experience on these so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
Pull the primary sheave off, look for damaged weights, may just b dirt and gunk in there not letting the weights slide all the way out, which will cause the belt to not ride all the way up. There are vids on youtube on how to clean and service ur primary sheave, might as well do the seconday also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Also use yamalube grease when u grease it all back up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 ·
So I pulled the primary clutch off and someone put the nastiest grease I have seen in there with the weights. Cleaned it up and looked at the weights. Some of the weights are much thicker than others and some of the plastic retainers are oval shaped and have gaps between weight and retainer. Also there is wear on the cam plate and the sliders just fall off the cam plate. I am thinking I need new weights and sliders. When I bought it, it had 27" mud tires on it. What weights and secondary spring would be needed for this size tire? Also, with what is going on my Yamaha dealer is closed and I want to get this running asap, what other grease can I use for the primary and secondary clutches? As always, thank you for your assistance.

#5 ·
WITH OUT DOUBT .... the NUMBER ONE THING TO DO .... and I can't believe somebody has not already told you .... get a machined clutch .... the number one best thing to get for a Rhino ....
I got mine from Hunterworks .... give him a call and tell him how you plan to ride and he will fix you up with the right weights and spring and slippery washers and slug kit for your wet clutch .... you can thank me later!

#6 ·
I agree now would be a good time to upgrade. I understand wanting to get it back together and running as quickly as possible, but this is one of very few areas where factory stock is not the best option. With tires being larger than stock, the machine sheave will help with performance and reduce the strain on the clutch and belt as well.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the help guys. I haven't got a chance to work on it in a few days but I ordered new weights and want to get them in. I am downgrading the tires from 27" mud tires to 25" trail tires so hopefully this will help out. I don't want to upgrade this year as I mostly bought this for the in laws to drive when we go riding and just want to get it running right and reliable. I will post more when I get it together.

#8 ·
Update: I replaced the primary clutch drive weights and still it didn't want to move. Tore it down to the wet clutch and "POW" it was worn down to the metal. Ordered a new one, one way bearing, and housing. Will be installing this week. Question, if my clutch is that worn out would it cause my rhino to cut out at half throttle because of the rev limiter? That's the issue I am having now. Thanks for all the help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.