Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am kicking around the idea of going with a Benchmark stage II 686 kit including cam with their head work and was wondering if anyone had numbers for horsepower gains? I will be adding this to my existing Muzzy exhaust, Dynotek CDI and K&N intake. Are the gains worth the money??? How is the reliability? Will the stock radiator be able to maintain temperature?

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

currently on a quad dynojet dual drum dyno your rhino is good for around 30 rear wheel horsepower,if u throw on all the other stuff and an 11-1 piston it will make around 40-42...thats what mine did....if dialed to a T and clutched right maybe 44 if you're lucky....thats on the proshops dyno which all the other shops say his reads too low, or the other shops just rate their engines higher to impress their customers....now if he uses a car dyno to give u the numbers then add about 25hp to that because they are way way too generours with their reading outputs....I've got over 160 dyno runs on my two different rhinos with 3 different engines and combos....Have seen tons of sxs's dyno'd there...A stock commander 1000 makes 54hp and the xp900 around 57hp at the wheels on his dyno.....power loss through the drivetrain seems to average around 20hp with sxs's from what we guage going off of the manufactureres claimed crankshaft HP.........

If you dont run the 11-1 piston knock off around 2hp....maybe 3.........stock radiator is fine....my buddy had a 700 done from A--a that made 50hp on the proshops dyno, I said wow!...we went to glamis and my dads rhino that makes 40hp on the proshops dyno beat that alba 50hp up the hill....B-------k rogers claimed 67.6 hp rhino was beat up olds two or 3 times by the proshops 44hp wifes car....I'm not trying to say one shop is better than the other,but only trying to say that the claimed dyno numbers from all these different shops are exactly that- different....John at the proshop has treated me great, alba treated my buddy great, benchmark has treated my san diego buddy great...we dune with tons of guys from all over california and we have seen high claimed horsepower dyno'd rhinos get beat by less...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
i would prefer reliability versus hp numbers. see who has that and go with that company.

·
Premium Member
7,795 Posts
x

a 10-1 piston is nice and reliable, when u go higher than that timing curves and quality of 91 octane gas and combustion clearances all come into play on weither or not it pings or knocks....play it safe with a nine or ten to one piston,good headbolts and not too big a cam and it won't kill the valve springs....thats a safe reliable bet....do a clutch upgrade,spring and weights and that should last a good while...change the oils all the time...make sure the jetting is on the money....clean the filter every trip and make sure its tight and don't leak..........trashcan the stock air box and feed boot....thats good for 1.5hp also...........

1 - 4 of 4 Posts