Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday after driving through a small mud hole, nothing difficult, my 06 Rhino 660 stopped working. I had gotten off for just a second. When I got back on, put it into gear and gave it gas, all i got was a terrible popping noise. the rhino would jump forward as if a gear were slipping of clutch slipping. This occurred in all gears, with or without four wheel drive. I can hear the gears shifting but only get the popping and slight bump forward. Best I can tell the noise is coming from the case. My motor will torq about two to three inches before the slip occurs. I have always had a hard time getting the Rhino to go into reverse. I am the second owner and was told by the first about a Clutch mod and a performance chip, which I know nothing about, were installed. I am running 28" outlaws tires. I need some direction. Where should I start? is It the r=dreaded mid drive gear? Or maybe clutch slipping? Also is there any Easy way to tell? Thanks in advance for all responses.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My guess would be the drive belt. The going into reverse is somewhat common and can usually be fixed by adjusting the gear linkage. If it was running fine up to that point and was a sudden thing I would say it's the belt, but the clutch mod could also be the problem depending on what the mod was. Maybe contact JBS. They're a sight vender and are very familiar with the clutch components. Either way you will probably have to pull the cover and check it out. The more info the better. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The noise is more like something is binding up then breaking away! i will deff. check that out tomorrow. I have been researching the rebuild also, just in case. Only putting performance parts back!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Need to call james @ Jbs, he will fix you up!

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It's a good possibility its the middle drive gear. Only way to no that is to tear it all the way down..... And at that point you would probley want to do the crank and a good rod while you are in there. Then I would contact alba Nate for everything you need.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The noise is more like something is binding up then breaking away! i will deff. check that out tomorrow. I have been researching the rebuild also, just in case. Only putting performance parts back!
Yeah it's hard to say for sure. But it's always best to check the easy more obvious stuff first. It doesn't take a lot of time and will allow you to start checking things off before you dive in head first. But seriously, the JBS guys are awesome, and can probably narrow it down pretty quick.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
What you're describing definitely sounds like broken middle drive gear related parts. DO NOT attempt to drive it any more!

To check it out, you can drain the engine oil, remove the front driveshaft (have to pull the front diff foward first), and remove the front drive flange and yoke assy from the front of the engine. There are four 12mm head bolts that hold it in place. It has an o-ring that seals it and there will be loose shims behind the bearing flange when you pull it out, keep track of the shims! This will give you the ability to look directly at the middle drive gear and related parts to get an idea what the extent of the damage is.

I hate to be the barer of bad news but it usually causes lots of damage with this failure. You may find that it is more cost effective to replace the whole engine rather than fixing it.

Either way, we can help if you want or need our assistance. We have lots of parts in stock as well as complete engines. Give us a call if we can help in any way. 760-484-0986

·
Registered
122 Posts
What you're describing definitely sounds like broken middle drive gear related parts. DO NOT attempt to drive it any more!

To check it out, you can drain the engine oil, remove the front driveshaft (have to pull the front diff foward first), and remove the front drive flange and yoke assy from the front of the engine. There are four 12mm head bolts that hold it in place. It has an o-ring that seals it and there will be loose shims behind the bearing flange when you pull it out, keep track of the shims! This will give you the ability to look directly at the middle drive gear and related parts to get an idea what the extent of the damage is.

I hate to be the barer of bad news but it usually causes lots of damage with this failure. You may find that it is more cost effective to replace the whole engine rather than fixing it.

Either way, we can help if you want or need our assistance. We have lots of parts in stock as well as complete engines. Give us a call if we can help in any way. 760-484-0986

X2 Mine broke the exact same way one minute it seemed fine next minute nothing. Your description matched my situation to a T. Ive not got my motor apart to know what damage im dealing with yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think I am ready to bet a pay check that it is the mid drive gear....I noticed online last night there are a few companies out there that sell reman engines in return for my core....is this something worth doing? Cost wise it looks like I could get out for around 1,100-1,500...thoughts on doing this. And maybe company names would be good. Thanks for all responses!!!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
I think I am ready to bet a pay check that it is the mid drive gear....I noticed online last night there are a few companies out there that sell reman engines in return for my core....is this something worth doing? Cost wise it looks like I could get out for around 1,100-1,500...thoughts on doing this. And maybe company names would be good. Thanks for all responses!!!
We sell used and rebuilt engines. Usually middle gear failures break the cases, extremely limiting the core value of your existing engine. Bare cases from Yamaha now retail over $1000 by themselves. Find out what is wrong with your engine, then call us to duscuss your options.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts