Yamaha Rhino Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a rhino to do some snow plowing. I've looked at alot of different set ups. Question is, Does the battery and charging system keep up with the electric controls. I'm talkin continuous plowing on large areas and multiple drives. Thinking about using one on a commercial level for residential drives. Any input appreciated. If upgrades are needed what would it take. I know its not there intended use but they are some agile in tight places. Thanks.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I've had no problems with the stock charging system keeping up with plowing in over 2 seasons of brutal plowing of my large commercial driveway, we also run 2 50 watt halogen rotating amber lights along with the winch up/down & headlights on too. In the heavy white stuff it's best to use low gear i was told by the dealer, easier on the clutch, have fun & yes! rhinos plow snow very well!

·
Registered
77 Posts
I plow with mine all the time. My drive is pushing 300ft + and never have a problem. I do have HID lights on mine but I’m sure you would be fine like HighGear said. I do most of my plowing in LOW 2 wheel drive (some might not agree) I do this because it steers easer. If I have problems pushing and wheel spin I’ll go to 4 or even 4locked. But keep it in low. It’s easer on your clutch. If you look at my pics you can see pics of mine in action. I use a moose plow 60” system that I like. I’ve been told I should have gotten a 66” or 72” because when you angle your blade it’s still wide enough that you are driving on a clear path. (Tires not in the unplowed area). If you’re getting a new setup and get a winch some of them and be bought with a short rope for plowing. This is a good idea because going in and out on the long winch rope is had on the rope. Just put the short on during the winter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wink67 looked at the pics. looked like some deep snow. I've made up my mind to go 72 inches still trying to decide on winch or hydro controlled. Of course the cost goes up a bunch. thanks

·
Registered
252 Posts
One note: If you decide to use a winch and purchase the multi-mount winch option you'll need to modify the winch attachment point on the plow. The multi-mount winch is farther forward than the standard winch that mounts behind the front bumper of the rhino. Having the winch sitting farther forward creates a 90 degree angle on the winch cable to the attachment point on the plow which after a couple raise/lower cycles it will snap the winch cable. I know, I had this happen 3 times on my 60" Moose Plow last winter and finally gave up and drilled a hole in the plow base and mounted a 1/2" diameter I-Bolt farther forward on the plow base which fixed the 90 degree angle problem, but in the process I didn't pay attention to my mounting location of the I-Bolt and mounted through the location where the plow angles, which as a result locked the plow straight forward so I couldn't angle it. So I redrilled in another place and remounted the I-Bolt. Works perfectly now.

Also, if you use a winch purchase a winch saver ATV. Winch Saver. They'll definitely save your winch cable.

The hydraulic option is great if you have tons of $$$$. I use the winch method because it serves as the plow raise/lower unit, plus it will help recover the rhino if I get stuck, or help recover another vehicle if it gets stuck. The hydraulic actuator won't help in recovery its just a 1 job unit at a huge price.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Highgear. Thanks for the info. I bet yours gets a workout up there. I'm in ne ohio, sure we don't get the snow you do.
Where are you in OH? I live in the OH and plow s loads of snow with my rhino! Ha well till it poked a rod through the case. Get one you will be happy and amazed at what you can plow with one. Very very good plow machine!

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
If you are going to do a lot plowing like you said a would install a second battery, It does draw a few amps when plowing all day it. I agree with all of the above posts for the most part. My drive way is over 900' long and I plow 5 other driveways which are just as long . I have the 72" plow.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Highgear. Thanks for the info. I bet yours gets a workout up there. I'm in ne ohio, sure we don't get the snow you do.
We average around 125''+ a season, sometimes we have to plow out 2-3 times a day,, our shops Rhino gets a real workout the plowed snow banks can get really high!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts